Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Please settle an argument
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)20:58    Post subject: Please settle an argument Reply with quote

I'm arguing w/ someone on another forum about fantails at the moment. She works in a store and she and her co-workers think a 20g is the "perfect" size for 2 of these to live their entire lives. To back her claim, she said her dad has had 2 in a 20g for 17 years.

Frankly, I feel this is WAY too small! I've SEEN full gold fantails, and WHOA! They're huge!

I think a BARE MINIMUM for 2 should be a 30g. BARE. I strongly suggest that 2 be kept in a 55g in order to ensure optimum health, but realize lots of people can't afford a tank of that size, or they simply don't have room.

So, what do you goldfish keepers think?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawna, I have seen 2 fancies kept for extended periods of time (over 5 years) in a 20L, but they were stunted. You don't' realize it unless you've seen one pond grown next to the tank fish....then you realize how truly massive they get. With goldfish, the stunting can take longer to be dangerous, because their intestines are already squashed by man's shaping of them, so people tend to watch carefully for problems...See what I mean.
No, I do not belive this is good in the long run. a 29 gallon I will buy in to, not a 20
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most keepers consider the minimum to be 10 gallons. Most suggest 20 gallons per goldfish. So, while its better than a whole bunch crammed in a ten, it certainly isn't a perfect way to spend a life.
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I really do appreciate it. This person and I have agreed to disagree for the moment. Her store is supposedly "very respected" and sells nothing but fish. We all know that really doesn't mean a whole lot. LOL!

Anyway, thanks again.
pond boy
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.09(Mon)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my 4 goldfish and 1 rosy red in a 10 gallon tank for the winter and then during the spring and summer they stay in my "pond" actualy a sunken wading pool with lots of fish I am trying to convince my mom to get me a 29 galon for my birthday though.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.10(Tue)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she has always had the goldies in a tank that size, they would be stunted, as previously mentioned. If she put "fresh" goldies in a 55, she would see how much happier and larger they got. IMHO, a 20 G stocked as mentioned seems like "a jar of eyeballs" to me.

Smile
ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.11(Wed)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though Shawna and her board-buddy agreed to disagree for now, I am now interested Wink

See, now that I work at my LFS and see goldies coming in at all sizes but rarely having seen mature specimens of any, I got to thinking about it. I always advise a 15 gallons per fancy goldfish rule of thumb (which customers usually subsequently ignore, obviously lying about their tank size), but I can't always answer questions about size. Are all fancies created equal? Will fantails and black moors and pearlscales and ryukins all grow to the same size when left in good conditions? Or do some fancies grow larger than others?

This isn't really an accomodation question, since 15 gallons is 15 gallons, but just a general info question. Like fishy trivia. Anyone have good sites or personal knowledge for this information?
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.12(Thu)10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skysong wrote:
If she has always had the goldies in a tank that size, they would be stunted, as previously mentioned. If she put "fresh" goldies in a 55, she would see how much happier and larger they got. IMHO, a 20 G stocked as mentioned seems like "a jar of eyeballs" to me.

Smile

"Jar of eyeballs". LOL! That sounds about right. THat's a good description, Skysong!

I like your idea, too, about putting new golds in a 55g to compare the difference in size. She never would, though, I"m sure. SHE works in a "respected" store, you know, and *I* am just some person who has fish in my house.

Anyway, we've let it drop for the time being, but sooner or later someone will mention the whole goldie thing again and I'll bring up the other points at that time.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: