Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help lack of space and small tanks
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rose
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)14:16    Post subject: Help lack of space and small tanks Reply with quote

Smile Hi I just now am able to start getting fish again but I don't have a lot of room where I could put a big tank. However I do have 3 small 1 gallon tanks. I really want some colorful but some what active fish. I would also like to have more than one in a tank so I am completely open to any suggestions. Very Happy
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best suggestion I can give you is to find a place for a bigger tank. One-gallon tanks and saltwater fish really don't mix, and that goes double for active fish.
I'm sorry if that seems rude, but I'm really just trying to save you some money and hassle.

Someone will no doubt come along and suggest a nano-reef within the next few posts. That would be fine if you wanted a high-maintenace tank with no fish.
GrendelPrime76
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt the rule of thumb 1in per 5 gallons?, I can't think of anything that could thrive(not just live) in a 1gal tank, with the room those tanks and equipment would take up you might be better off just getting at least a 20gal it would be cost effective in the long run also, figure 3 lights 3 filters 3 heaters, in a bigger tank it would just be 1 of each of the above, just my 2cents. Very Happy
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the saltwater forum right? I didn't take a wrong turn and end up in the betta forum? Sorry, but I had to say it. Most of the guys I know with reefer madness are into micro reefs these days, but even these are at least five gallons and usually have at least another five in a sump or refugium below the aquarium. We're also talking about people who have been doing reefs for years, not just getting back into the hobby. Not to mention that these mini-reefs normally won't include fish.
It's good that you're interested in the hobby; it's a very rewarding one if approached in a sensible manner. My advice? Do your homework. The more you know before you start, the better off you'll be. Get some books, ask questions, hang out in fish stores, ask questions, surf the net, ask questions...get the idea? Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

good luck!
fishdude
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

What IS the attraction to nano-reefs these days?

I just don't see the appeal. Why would anyone bother with a high-maintenance, low capacity ( and low POSSIBILITIES ) setup?
I can see where one may be useful for keeping small pipefish or seahorses, or for growing food animals, or for just showing off one's mad skillz, but otherwise I just can't see the point.
PetCrazy
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.10(Tue)23:54    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

I have to agree with the oldsalt, I had never seen the attraction to the tiny nano reefs either (some are alright, if you know how to work them, but I wouldn't go below a 10 gallon personally...). The super duper nano reefs I see at the lfs's just baffle me, these tiny little 1 gallon colored cubes with a light hanging over it by a bendable neck, a little piece of live rock, a feather duster and a hermit crab...that's anything BUT exciting.
They look like the betta setups going through an identity crisis.
The little eclipse gallon nano's (the 12 gallon one or even six) I can understand to a point, after all, we all have budgets to keep in mind, and as long as you are willing to do the maintenance, you're fine.
Watchman Gobies are cute...you can grow a couple polyps or mushrooms in those...at least it's something, and there's a good article about it at fishgeeks.
http://www.fishgeeks.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=294&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0.(I think that's it)
If you have room for three 1 gallon tanks...wouldn't you have the space for at least a ten gallon? Logicaly the ground coverage wouldn't be all that different..correct? Unless you have to spread them out, but...10 gallon's don't take much room at all.
Then at least you'd have SOMETHING to play with to an extent, I've seen some nice ten gallon setups at my lfs, of course you are working within limitations but it's far better than a 1 gallon...
If that's honestly all the room you have...
How bout some nice little betta bowls....
And no matter what, read up as much as you can..and absorb every ounce of information you can grab.

(sorry for rambling..oh...and why would an active fish want to live in a 1 gallon tank? Where does he have to go???? Wink )
seawitch0313
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.11(Wed)15:40    Post subject: RE: tank Reply with quote

Hi there. I would have to agree that you're probably better off going with a 10 gal. I had a one gal once(freshy) and just picturing 3 of them, all with lights filters and such, you'd be using up more space and more wall outlets for them than one 10 gal. I realize you have a limited budget and wouldnt want to buy one. My suggestion? Hit the flea markets and garage sales, I practically garrentee you'll find a 10 gal that someone gave up on. Around here I don't even have to buy any tanks, I can find one for free most times. Just clean them out real good an let them stand on a newspaper with water in them for a while and make sure they don't' leak and voila! You've got a bigger tank with less restrictions w/o breaking your budget.
Myself I'm keeping my eye out for a 29 or 30 gal tank, I might put an add up in one of the local pet stores.

Good luck!!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.12(Thu)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes your local AmVets or Salvation Army can be a good place to go. Even the thrifties in your local paper or "Community News" has good deals sometimes. I got a fully equiped 30 for $15. And a 10 with herp and guinie pig equip for only $5. Spent another $10 and some donations and I got all I needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: