Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What's with the Hagen "whatever"-Glo's?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloggins
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.05(Thu)21:33    Post subject: What's with the Hagen "whatever"-Glo's? Reply with quote

Just curious, a "too good to be true"?
They are marked with a very high kelvin rating, I can't remeber what exactly (more then 10,000K, I think).
The usual Marketing phrases, promotes "whatever" growth (in this case corals, and invertebrates), full spectrum, and they give you a chart blah blah.

To what extent would these be effective, I wouldn't trust a prized SPS, or Maxima Clam under one, but maybe a few hardy mushroom corals? or a hardy anemone?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any salt experinces, but I have been using Hagen's Aqua-glo. I'm pretty happy with these bulbs in my planted tank. As far as I can tell by looking @ them in operation the charts seem to be good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.10(Tue)19:39    Post subject: Re: What's with the Hagen "whatever"-Glo's? Reply with quote

Bloggins wrote:
Just curious, a "too good to be true"?
They are marked with a very high kelvin rating, I can't remeber what exactly (more then 10,000K, I think).

To what extent would these be effective, I wouldn't trust a prized SPS, or Maxima Clam under one, but maybe a few hardy mushroom corals? or a hardy anemone?

Well, the K rating is for color temps. The Hagen that is 10,000 K would be a bluish full-spectrum daylight, whereas the 18,000 K and up would all be grouped together as "actinic." (I should note that I've heard that it's innaccurate to quote exact K ratings anywhere over 18,000 K so that 18,000 K and 36,000 K would all be, effectively, actinic.) If you were going for a combination, half daylight and half actinic, for corals, you'd be in good shape with one 10,000K and one 18,000K bulb.

I'm not sure if that answers the root of your question. Are you wondering how much light would grow soft corals? Since Hagen (and all other) normal fluorescent bulbs come in the usual wattages, you would still need to pair the correct number of bulbs of a particular wattage for your size of tank. THEN, you might select a combination of 10,000 K and 18,000 K (or any other appropriate combination) bulbs to make up that total wattage.

For example, say you have a 10 gallon (for easy math). You want at least 4 wpg over it to keep some mushrooms. You need a total of at least 40 watts. 18" bulbs (like the -Glos in question) are 15 watts each. Three of these bulbs would give you a total of 45 watts, or 4.5 wpg. So you would know you need three bulbs. Then you could buy two 10,000 K bulbs and an 18,000 K bulb to get the desirable spectra and color temps.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.10(Tue)19:52    Post subject: Re: What's with the Hagen "whatever"-Glo's? Reply with quote

Bloggins wrote:
or a hardy anemone?

That doesn't exist

There alright but you would need several of them. One or two power compacts would be much better.
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.25(Wed)2:38    Post subject: whatever glo's Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but I've had curley-q anemones do just fine over one power glo and one marine glow. In fact they went from being the size of a silver doller in diameter in the tanks where I worked at the time, to almost the size of my hand. If you get into the "real" softies, then yes you will need somthing a little more high powered.

fishdude
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: