Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tell me if these are dangerous
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlossyTA
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.05(Thu)20:15    Post subject: Tell me if these are dangerous Reply with quote

Setting up a new tank. Its gonna be a desert scene. I picked out some decorations like a little ceramic snake with fired in paint and some plastic cactus. Will either of these things like the paint or material of the snake or the plastic from the catus be harmful to saltwater fish. I am going fish only with artificial decorations to keep the desert scene. Tank is 55g and I have a Fluvall 404 canister filter. Question
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.05(Thu)21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of sand are you using?

I wouldn't put anything with paint on it in a tank. Plastic should be OK. But paint is probably not a good idea.

A word of advice. Most people once they have a tank for a few months. Regret they didn't go all natural. The plastic skeleton with the bubbles looks cool at first but quickly becomes an eyesore. Sorry about getting martha stewart on ya, but I'm speaking from experience.
FlossyTA
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.05(Thu)21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crushed Coral. My house is a southwestern theme so a a reef wouldn't match the desert theme would.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.05(Thu)22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....I guess that could be interesting.

If you avoid critters that would munch on the decorations, you could make it work.

So...I guess you'll be wanting fish with southwestern colors like pink, yellow, tan, & aqua? I can think of a few wrasses that fit the bill.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the plastic stuff it would be OK but anything with paint I would try to find out if its saltwater safe. Theres certain things used in fresh water that react differently with saltwater. As far as affecting pH, drawing elements out and so on. Or you can try and go with all plastic maby find someting similar like the things with the paint on.

I had a 39 gall salt set up and someting you can look for that I used was picture rock. Its sort of a dense heavy rock but its got the yellows, tans, reds, and pinks in the rock all in layers. Looks very desert like and I had no problems with pH or anything in the tank. It comes in many shapes and sizes, if you pick out some nice pieces you can put them together to make some nice caves. I now have a 75 with all lr but my brother is using the 39 with the picture rock.

If you don't know what it looks like I will try and find a picture of the rock for you.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also called "Rainbow Rock."
It looks like something straight out of a Wiley Coyote / Roadrunner cartoon, and would match your desert theme perfectly.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.09(Mon)1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx old salt for the rainbow rock. they sell it in my area as picture rock but I couldnt find anything under that. I found a pic this is a plastic replica of the rainbow rock but it looks just like it. I think it is awesome looking rock though and like the fact it never affected pH or any other parameters

http://www.petdiscounters.com/aquarium/ornaments/hbh_43542_rainbow.html
FlossyTA
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. ..... Tank has been set up for over a week now. I tested the salinity its at 1.024 pH is 8.0 I took the water to the LFS and had the water tested and he said it was doing good. He said ammonia and nitrite was in the middle of the scale, so he suggested that I do a 25% water change tonight. That I could expect a spike in ammonia in a week and that it would last for about two or three. Then it would drop and be safe to add the nice fish.

My question now is... should I go ahead and add some damsels " 5 or 6 of them" to cyle it and speed up the growth of bacteria? Or will they just die right away? If I put StressZyme in there will it help them make it?

Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damsels or no damsels it's gonna cycle in a 2 to 3 weeks

If you don't plan on keeping the damsels just use the stresszyme and you'll have a nicely cycled tank in no time. You can toss a little fish food in too to help. bacteria will form to make it decay.
FlossyTA
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about that frozen bacteria they sell at the store? Is that safe? Will it help?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: