Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Salt water newbie
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommyz
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.30(Fri)14:44    Post subject: Salt water newbie Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been keeping freshwater fish for 5 years now. I've kept everything from cichlids to lungfish, with great success. I want to start my first saltwater tank. I'm going to start with a fish only with a possibility of going reef in the future. I'm looking to start with a 75 gal tank, but will try to go bigger if possible. What type of filtration would you recommend? I originally planned to go with a wet dry system. Then was advised to go with live rock, a protein filter and deep sand bed. I want to keep hawaiian native fish, such as a flame angel, huma huma trigger, hawaiian cleaner wrasse etc. Any advice on how to start this tank would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Very Happy
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.30(Fri)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to have a fish only get the Wet-dry/protien skimmer.

If your going Reef get the liverock/Deepsand bed/protienskimmer/with sump and macroalgae.

You can combine the two and have very good filtration for either system.

What was this persons reason for you not getting a wet-dry? I'd like to hear it before I comment further.
tommyz
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.30(Fri)20:37    Post subject: saltwater newbie Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. The reason for abandoning a wet dry system was explained to me that wet dry systems put too much nitrate back in the tank. Also if I was planning to upgrade to a reef tank down the road, a protein skimmer with live rock would work just fine for a f/o tank. That I shouldn't waste the money on a wet dry system that would need to be removed for a reef tank. Can a wet dry system be used on a reef tank? I'm not against spending the money on good equipment if it will provide a pristine tank. In my opinion it would be worth every dime. Thank you again for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.30(Fri)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Fluval canister on my 55 gallon. I do regular maintenace on the filter and I have 0 Zero Nitrates. If you let gunk build up in the filter you'll have nitrate problems. Just like crushed coral sand beds. You do good maintenace you'll have beautiful water and no nitrates.

The main Key to any reef tank isn't filtration or protien skimmers or live rock or a sand bed. Its water. Get yourself a good RO system and do regular water changes and you'll have no problems.

I'm not saying don't use those filtrations its just that In my experience water is the Key. If you start off with good water you don't have to rely on your filtration as much.

A good protien skimmer, with good water movement and good water. you should have no problems.

I'm tired and I think I started to ramble.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.01(Sun)11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitly go with the lr and ls. I to have a 75 and this is my main filtration. Go with a skimmer and pwr heads, I don't have a sump on mine but most people go with one. Theres actually several types of filtration you have to see what you want to go with.
The only problem with a reef down the road might be your trigger it won't eat corals but loves to eat crabs, shrimp, clams and possibly small fish. Also they may move some of your rock work also which may be a problem knocking over corals.
With fo tank you don't need to worry about the lighting standard is fine but if you decide to go with corals then its major upgrade time.

check out these links

http://www.expat.or.id/info/aquarium.html

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

http://sps.reefkeepers.org/LiveRockFAQ.htm

http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html

http://www.shirleyaquatics.co.uk/pages/marine/keeping_marine_fish_printable.html

they should help
tommyz
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.02(Mon)16:43    Post subject: saltwater newbie Reply with quote

Thank you much for the advice and the links. I'm sorting through all of the info now. I'm thinking I might go with l/r with a deep sand bed and protein skimmer. I'll probably add on a uv sterilizer for now to start.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.07(Sat)23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you want a uv sterilizer before you go buying one. I'm not trying to talk you out of them but there a love hate item. Either you love having it or you hate having it. Theres a big argument on these because they kill bad bacteria but can also kill good bacteria I would do research before spending the money on one of these.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: