Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting help wanted....
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunni
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.30(Fri)14:21    Post subject: Lighting help wanted.... Reply with quote

I bought a 20 gallon tank with a cheap hood that has 1 florescent bulb in it... I would like to retrofit or upgrade the hood with a decent light fixture so I can grow plants (other than low light). From all the reading I have done, I am assuming that I cannot just buy a hood that will accomidate a decent lighting setup.

Sooo... I would like someone to tell me how to retrofit. You will need to lead me through step by step, I have no idea what ballast is or what to do with it.

Thanks soo much! Smile
jschaeferrhs
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.31(Sat)0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the existing hood, it can be difficult to help. If you are dead-set on retrofitting the current hood, you can look around at your lfs for some compact fluorescent fixtures that will fit. You could also look for them at stores like home depot or lowes. However, retrofitting is probably not your easiest option (especially if you can't find lights that will fit in the hood). I had the same dilemma with my 75 gal. and would recommend buying one of those relatively cheap screen covers for tanks. Then you could definitely find a cheap shop light (I purchased a 2 bulb, 48 in. one for less than $15 bucks) or a compact flourescent fixture that would fit on it.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.31(Sat)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lkraven.com/Aquarium/DIYLighting.htm
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.04(Wed)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the kits from ahsupply.com and had great results. They come with easy to understand directions and wiring diagrams and nice reflectors.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: