Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish and plants
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattcarpenter100
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)15:45    Post subject: Goldfish and plants Reply with quote

do goldfish like a lot of plants around them? Confused
Gillaz
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they had a choice between plants and swimming space I'm sure they would pick swimming space even the less active fancy variaties. You could add a few but don't add loads so they can't swim.

Dan
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um. Yeah, goldfish like plants- they make a nice salad for them! Smile Seriously, most plants will be gobbled up, but you could try java fern and java moss, (anubias would probably work too). I have kept those with goldfish and they leave them alone for the most part. You can add elodea which is cheap and they'll snack on it, but it grows fast enough to survive.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish and plants....think of people and furniture.

Sure, having a big, empty house is great, there's nothing to run into (lol) or have in the way, but there's nothing to do. A crowded house is overpowering, on the other hand.

Goldies love eating plants... Very Happy
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.30(Fri)2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goldfish love to eat cambomba and elodea, which is good because anything else seems to die and they are cheap and can be bought in bulk.
Dianne
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.04(Wed)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have java fern (which fish don't eat) attached with fishing line to a fake piece of wood, and recently added some water wisteria, which seems to be faring well with them so far. They also have some floating water sprite, which they keep in check by nibbling on it through the day. When you consider how much the plants can help with keeping the water cleaner, it makes sense to add some, as long as the fish still have plenty room to swim.

Mine didn't like anubias, by the way, and kept them pulled up. I'm guessing it's because the anubias leaves don't give when the fish swim into them.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: