Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
funny Clown behavior
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)8:12    Post subject: funny Clown behavior Reply with quote

Hello - I have just recently moved my 10G into a 30G. I have 2 occ. clowns (one orange, one yellow), 2 serpent stars, a feather duster, sea urchin and a chocolate chip star. Yesterday, my yellow clown did something I've never seen before. He was treating the feather duster like it was an anenome - swimming in it, and sort of just laying on it. At first it looked like he was dying on it, but after a while, he swam away from it and was fine, then went back and did it again. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your clown is trying to host with the Feather duster like they will an anenome. They will try this on just about anything. Some have even seen them host with a powerhead.

It could harm the feather duster if it irritates it too much. There's really no way to make him stop doing it. Short of Getting an anenome or finding him some other artificial distraction.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it sounds like hes claimed that feather duster as "home sweat home" first time I have heard that happening. sos can you make an artificial anemeone for clowns to live in?
2 winged demons
GrendelPrime76
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the clown is bothering your duster try moving the duster, clowns arent very bright and it will take him awhile to find it again, Very Happy
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.01(Sun)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some that have hosted flower pots (ceramic kind) they really are not to picky. Mine have moved several times they have hosted the pwr head, a halmedia plant, grape capulera, emporer 400, and now back to the power head again. And mine have acually laid down on there sides especially with the halmedia.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.02(Mon)18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK but has anybody tried to make a fake sortof real looking anemeone for thier clowns?
2 winged demons
GrendelPrime76
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.02(Mon)20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of tiny water baloons tied tigether not sure if it would work or if its even safe in a aquarium but I think it would be the next best thing to an anemeone, ide think it would feel the same
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.02(Mon)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find one Clowns have been known to host with Koosh balls(Remember them)

here's a link where you can still get them:
http://www.starmagic.com/store.cgi?452224+3D3A1B31
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA!

I just thought of a new product for the mass market.

Rubber anemones!

Clownfish are easily mass produced by the fishfarms, and now that Finding Nemo is a hit, it's a safe bet that the Clownfish will soon gain more popularity than ever before, with thousands of new hobbyists keeping them in the next few years.

Alas, that means a lot of newbies will be slaughtering the anemones in wholesale quantity. That's not acceptable.

The solution?
Ta-DA! The rubber anemone.

First, we make a mold of a suitable anemone species, one with a medium width disk and long tentacles. Then we coat that mold with a thin, yet strong laytex compound which would be smooth, strong, and resilient in saltwater. Once dry the unit would be peeled off of the mold, filled with water, and sealed shut on the bottom.

Watch it wiggle...see it jiggle...once in water, the tentacles would float erect but still droop in a natural-looking way. In short, a perfect substitute that's environmentally friendly. Maybe we could even figure out a way to mold them in lifelike colors.

Yep, some one could make a bundle, save the anemones, and make a lot of clownfish very happy.
GrendelPrime76
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I were you ide get a pattent for it before someone steals your idea Very Happy
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: