Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tank Size
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.28(Wed)16:45    Post subject: Tank Size Reply with quote

Hi all,
This is my first time here and I'm thinking of setting up an aquarium. I had a 2 feet tank before but that was too small. So now I have plenty of glass handy to make a larger one. The problem is the glass. I have 6mm and 8mm glass handy. Does somebody have an idea as to how big a tank I can go for with the 6mm glass. I'm looking for a width of around 1.5 feet. So the length and height are what I need. I don't think the glass will hold much?

Hope someone has a answer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.28(Wed)23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

This information should help you.

Glass Thickness
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Just one question though, the size mentions that the base glass should be slightly thicker. Would that still be true if the base of the tank is going to be supported (Kept on a table).

PS: Sorry about putting the query in chemistry and equipment, first post to a message board ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the whole surface of the glass was going to be touching the table your good, but if just the edges are touching you'll still get bowing and need thicker glass.
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,

Ill figure out some measurements and get back to confirm if I got them right. Just don't want the glass to crack after getting the water in. will make too much of a mess and you know the rest.

Thanks again.
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.30(Fri)15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all,

But just couldnt work it out. For a 6mm glass you can't get plenty of length and height both. Its either one or the other. Will put it off for a few months till I get the cash to afford 10mm glass. Till then I will certainly visit this site and learn about plants, thats one thing I couldnt get right in my first tank.

Wish you people all the best with your tanks. (seen great pics).
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: