Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Small Goldfish Pond
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripperx
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.26(Mon)2:25    Post subject: Small Goldfish Pond Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking into building a small pond in my back yard. I want to just keep some of my goldfish about 6-7 inches in size. I want something with very little maintenance and cheap to make. If anyone has some suggestions I'd really appreciate it.
Carol
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.27(Tue)7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to break it to you but I really don't know if there is actually anything cheap and low maintenance.
It is about the same maint as an aquarium. Noone gets holidays just because the fish are outside its just nicer to work out in the sunshine.
It may be a little easier as your body of water will be larger and it will not need quite as many water changes as the smaller tank. But remember you will still need your water changes etc. Try to stick with at least 20% bi weekly.
Freshwater
Good filtration
Water movement
Water testing
Cheapest way is to dig a hole, buy a liner, find some rocks and start your plumbing.
You should have the ability to top skim and to bottom drain, these are the best ways. It is nice if you can have both in your system.
Don't forget to leave ledges for your plants.
If you get this done I am sure that withen 2 years you will be building a bigger and better one. Its the same routine that most ponders fall into.
Good luck and have fun.
ripperx
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.27(Tue)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks. I'm sorry, I was just looking for a cheap way to build one with just the necessities. I'm regular care involved. BTW, do you know of any good DIY sites for that stuff?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: