Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gorganian
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidandpam
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.24(Sat)9:54    Post subject: Gorganian Reply with quote

I have a Dichotomous Branching Gorgonian which has been in my 125 gal. tank for about 6 or 7 months. It is about 8" long with several branches. Several months ago its tenacles would extend and the fingers were obvious on the tips. About a month ago it was totally withdrawn for several days and appeared white instead of a brownish color. It seemed to puff up somewhat and now it seems to extend the tenacles more at night and when the light is low and not fully out as it used to. I have a 250W Metal Halide and a 150W metal halide above the tank and there has been no change in his position or the lights. I have seen no change in the water other than the nitrates have been below 2.5 for the past month rather than near five as they were for several months. The water varies in temp from 78.5 to 80.5 daily, hydrometer 1.023 to 1.024, calcium around 500. Everything else seems to be doing fine.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.25(Sun)6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to take a guess, gorgonians are a type of octoporal and it may be your flow rate effecting it. I'm not sure off hand what exactly it looks like but if its a finger like colony they need slower flow rate, if its a lobed or rounded type it needs faster water flow. This may be affecting its feeding and are you adding some type of coral food maby containg plankton? If that doesn't work then try moving it to another spot in the tank where it gets a different level of light if its extending tenacles at night.

It can be very difficult to tell with corals since there are several diesease that can affect them or even the simpilest things can also. Some things to check for trouble shooting would be water chemistry, lighting, water movment, irritation by other critters (parasites), also how close is your other corals to your gorgonian? If corals are placed to close to each other the more toxic corals can sting lesser aggressive corals to death. These are some other things you can check into if the first 2 don't work.
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.11(Wed)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, gorgonians are way cool, but best left to the experts or the ocean. Being non-photosynthetic it does require food. There are many planktonic foods out there, but from what I've read and had experience with they usually aren't enough to keep them going for more than a few months. When you consider how long lived they can be in nature it almost doesn't seem fair. Now I know that there are people out there that have kept them succesfuly, but I really think that long term success with these neat little guys is out of the average hobbyists reach.

fishdude
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: