Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fan Tailed Gold Fish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancyfish
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.20(Tue)20:09    Post subject: Fan Tailed Gold Fish Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I had an empty 10 gallon aquarium and was looking for something to put in it when it hit me'gold fish'. I went to the pet store and did'nt know what type of gold fish I was looking for then the woman who helped me told me not to get comets because they get big( I wanted to get 2-3 and did'nt do my research) so she recomended fantailed and said they get smaller and 5 would be able to live in there full grown but I read they get BIG so I just got 2 of them. So I was wondering would 2 fantailed goldfish be able to livein a 10 gallon aquarium happily full grown?
Thanks.

Also I thought gold fish didn't need a filter but she said they do. I don't have a filter for them seeing I did'nt have or buy one for them.
Do they absolutely need one?
If they don't how often would I have to change there water?
I am feeding them flakes so should I continue or is pellets better?
Or both, feed them some pllets and flakes?
Also how often should I feed them because I heard 2 times a day and how much they eat in 3 minutes and I've heard 1 time a day and only how much they eat in 1 minute.

Whats the rule how much do I feed them and when?
Thank-you so much if you take the time to reply!
Luv ya guys
~*~Kristin~*~
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.20(Tue)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. I've heard of different sized fantails, but most of them can get pretty large. I wouldn't say 2 could live there happily for the rest of their day. Yes you do need a filter because goldfish are some of the dirtiest fish out there. They eat everything, feed em some brine shrimp now and then and thay also do great with some sort of vegetables (they are herbivours)
fancyfish
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.20(Tue)20:23    Post subject: Reply. Reply with quote

Hey.
Thanks for the reply. Well I was wondering if 1 could live in there happily for the rest of his life?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.20(Tue)20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that some of the smaller types could live in there forever alone, but you are looking at changing 20-40% of the water weekly.
Your goldfish do need a filter, and it would be best to feed a combination of flakes or pellets, fresh veggies and frozen foods. Live plants can help supplement thier diet as well.
fancyfish
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.20(Tue)20:31    Post subject: Reply. Reply with quote

Hey,

So would I be able to keep one in there for it's life and change it's water weekly with a filter and good food?
Thanks
~*~Kristin~*~
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.20(Tue)21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. You see, some types of goldfish get really, really massive, and although they might live in there for thier life, you have to realize that they're life should be at least 10 years and up to 30. So think about a medium sized dog...you COULD keep them for thier life in a kennel...but that's not ideal by any means.
If your fish lives to adulthood, and you stay in the hobby, you will likely decide at some point that you'd like a larger tank.
fancyfish
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.20(Tue)21:19    Post subject: Reply. Reply with quote

So would I be able to keep them in there(both of them) in a 20 gallon?

Or just one of them?
There sooo cute though!
~*~Kristin~*~
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.21(Wed)9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say you could maybe but a 29gallon would be better for them. What kind of filter are you getting for them? in a 20gal id say go for a bit more filtration than normal to cope with the waste produced by them. and as SherryNE said : 40% weekly water changes.
fancyfish
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.21(Wed)17:21    Post subject: Reply. Reply with quote

Better.. Yes but would a 20 gal. be O.K?

I don't know what type of filtration I'm getting.
Y?
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.22(Thu)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this is a case of what they CAN live in and what SHOULD live in. Yes they can live in a 20gal but they won't have as much room or freedom to swim about. They should be living in something slightly bigger in which they would be quite happy their whole life.

I would go for a canister filter with a spraybar attachment so that the current isnt too strong for them- they're not strong swimmers.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: