Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Plecos(or other algae eaters in ponds)
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkzephyr
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.19(Mon)20:42    Post subject: Plecos(or other algae eaters in ponds) Reply with quote

IS this a good idea? Not for me but it seems more and more customers think that PLecos will keep the algae down in their ponds. I try to steer them towards Anti-phosphates which should cut down on the algae but some still want to go with good old "Mr. Reliable" algae eater. Aside from the fact that I doubt a pleco would be the best at keepin a small pond clean, are there any other reasons that someone could'nt keep a common pleco in their pond throughout the summer months where the temp is usually above 68 F?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.19(Mon)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point? Goldfish eat far more algae than plec's anyway. Other than the fact that it will only aggravate the problem of algae by adding far more waste, I don't see a problem during summer.
sbfh1
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.29(Fri)22:24    Post subject: Plecos in Ponds Reply with quote

I have three PLecos in my pond which I aquired this spring when algae was abundant. I tried everything to control it. After getting the three PLecos within three weeks you could see the black liner of the pond. On a daily basis you could see where they were eating the algae.
lighter
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.30(Sat)7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not true that they are "good" algae eater, a lot depends on the other food that's available to them and other factors.
Eiti Yamasaki
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.03(Wed)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

plecos may disturb older goldfishes and "eat" their fins. If you want to keep the algae down in your pond you should improve the filtration's quality. Water plants (instead of algae) will consume nutriets from water. So keep them in a safe place.

As "lighter" said, plecos just will eat algae if there aren't food for them...

OK??
Regards,
sbfh1
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.06(Mon)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry... but I beg to differ on the last comment. I have wonderful filtration on my pond and I feed my fish..gold and Koi several times during the day in summer. The summers here in TX are very hot which adds to the bloom of algae. I had tried everything short of chemicals (because of the fish) to get rid of it. My son bought our first Pleco (about 10 inches) for my anniversary. After putting it in the pond he or she went to work on the algae. You could actually see where it had eaten. My son bought two more about 6-7 inches. Within 3 weeks my pond was sparkling clean of all algae. During that time frame I continued to not only feed the golds and Koi, both pellet and flake, I fed the Plecos algae wafers. These are common Plecos and now that it is winter I have purchased a 90 gal. tank for them to winter in the house until I return them to the pond in spring. If I hadn't seen it w/ my own eyes I would not have believed it. But THEY definitely solved my major problem w/ algae!!!!!!! Very Happy
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.06(Mon)22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending where you are in TX you can keep your plecos year round in the pond, as long as you feed sparingly during the 1-2 months of actual cold we do get. Smile
sbfh1
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.08(Sat)21:22    Post subject: Pleacos and Algae Reply with quote

I live north of Austin. Everyone I spoke with advised to get them inside for the winter. So far the winter has been mild, but one never knows in Texas.They are doing great in the 90 gal tank along w/ one male Betta I rescued from its little cup at Walmart. Its in seventh heaven and the Plecs don't bother it at all. Thanks for your advice.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: