Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Plenum or no Plenum?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloggins
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.14(Wed)9:52    Post subject: Plenum or no Plenum? Reply with quote

I'm still tweaking my setup, and again have run into drastically conflicting reports on the use of a plenum. I would like to get my hands dirty buy building a trickle filter with a bioter, and the Bioballs (of doom), and would like a plenum to compensate for the acculmulation of nitrates.

Some say that the anoxic zone will also acculmulate unwanted concentrations of nutrients, and othe chemicals which can leech back inot the water.

It's just that I'm rather new to the idea of putting the biological filtration into the tiny hands, or feelers of the organisms in Live rock, and live sand, and would prefer to put it in the trut of my own designs.

Is live rock/live sand expenisve /lb? I'm concerned that I would inadvertently kill it.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.15(Thu)0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

No plenum setup will be able to keep up with the nitrate produced by a trickle filter, and neither would a deep sand bed. I'll warn you this one last time, and then it's it's up to you.

Plenums... I like 'em. You can get the same effects of a deep sand bed but with a lot less sand. They're also a LOT more efficient.

Live sand and rock are not cheap, but they're also pretty hard to kill. If you don't do something stupid like putting unquarantined fish into the tank, the odds of killing your filter will drop even more.

Of course the sand will accumulate nutrients, but it's not the plenum's fault. As for leaching, you're worrying over nothing; the effect is negligible, and self correcting by the simultaneous absorbing of other stuff. A deep sand bed could produce catastrophic results, but a shallow plenum bed won't.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: