Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Live sand and Coral culture
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloggins
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.13(Tue)17:49    Post subject: Live sand and Coral culture Reply with quote

I've read that's theoriectically, it's possible to minimze reef tank costs by buying the majority of your substrate as non-live sand (aragonite), and large peices of dead coral to act as a base, then introducing a small amount of live sand, and a small amount of live coral in hopes that the organisms will establish a colonize ovver any areas available. I have a friend willing to lend me the live materials I need.

Has anyone tired this? is it plausible? and given this method, for say a 55g tank, how much time would be necessary for stable conditons and colonies to form?(before I added hardy invertebrates, and fish)
Zurvan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.13(Tue)20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a similar question over at reefcentral.com, and they told me that it is certainly possible, and will work. They also recommended adding a detrivore kit or two, which is basically the live sand/live rock critters. They were not able to give an estimated time that it would take for everything to stabilise, but indicated that eventually everything would be ready to go.

HTH
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.13(Tue)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will work but it will take a few months for the tank to get a good colony going.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.19(Mon)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mix of ls and southdown (dry aragonite) plus 2 other sand types. After the tank was cycled I bought a det kit and added it. Its better to add before fish so the critters have a chance to establish themselves. You add your det kit and throw some cheap fish food in the tank. It will dissapear slowly but seem to dissapear faster and faster when the food is gone within a day then it means your critters have started to take a good hold. Yes using the dry sand is much cheaper then buying all live.

As far as the live rock it works the same way. The life on the lr will spread to the dead rock. Also if your looking for a inexpensive way to go people have had luck with lace rock. Its found at a lot of landscaping stores. Also making your own live rock is becoming popular and very cheap with seeding it with lr. The only thing is it may take a little longer for the critters to completely inhabit the cheap rock but it works. I've talked to a couple people that have had sucess with making it on there own.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: