Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Klein Butterfly...
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil

PostPosted: 2003.05.10(Sat)3:05    Post subject: Klein Butterfly... Reply with quote

My b/fly is breathing really heavy... what could be the problem??? I cycled the tank for 3 weeks and the dude at the store said the klein b/fly is an excelent fish to start of with... so help!!! or is it meant to move its mouth so quick? pH is at 8.3
GrendelPrime76
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.10(Sat)19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is an excelent b/fly but the only problems I ever heard of is the fact there a deep water b/fly and sometimes they don't decompress well,but as far as I know there 1 of the hardiest of the butterflys accepting almost all foods. did you check your water for amonia? maybe the tank wasent fully cycled yet? what size tank is it and what kind of filtration ru running?
Neil

PostPosted: 2003.05.10(Sat)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep the tank has cycled/.. Everthing at 0.... Tank is a 90 Gal with internal submersable filtration... Today it would dive to the bottom and go on the side and rub its body on the sand bed and swim back up... is this normal????
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.11(Sun)1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you waht the problem is:

You didn't quarantine the new fish. Instead, you just bought it and dumped it into the tank.

The reason it's breathing so hard is that it's gills are crwling with parasites, and the stress associated with the move from the store to your house was enough to let it succumb. Now, even worse, each one of those little parasites will drop off and reproduce by dividing. Each one of them will become 256.
The reason it's rubbing on the sand is that it's irritated; the parasites are painful.

If this is the only fish in the tank, you can treat it in the tank. However, you're going to need a quarantine tank if you're to have any hope of real success.
Neil

PostPosted: 2003.05.11(Sun)2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

$#!+... what medication is needed? yeah its the only fish in tank Neutral
ARGH!!! Mad How big does the quarentine tank need to be??? And how long does it take to fix the prob?
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.11(Sun)13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 20 gallon quarantine tank is big enough for most fish. For that matter, a big plastic tub from walmart works just as well or better, and is a heck of a lot cheaper. My ususal quarantine tubs are these translucent 27 gallon jobs that only cost about 8 bucks. The lip across the top holds a filter just as well as a glass tank's does.
( Did everybody GET that? No more excuses about how another aquarium would be too expensive. )

Coppersafe is a good medicine. It's cheap, easy to use, doesn't stain your sealer, requires only one single dose, and works very well. It'll kill any live rock critters or other invertebrates, though.

It takes a minimum of 24 days to do the job. The life cycle of the parasites is 23 days, and they are only vulnerable during one part of it.
In the meantime, you can keep the fish a bit safer by adding a little garlic oil to their food. Flake food isn't the best choice for this, but grated shrimp or little fish shavings or whiteworms work well. Flake food can work, but it'll get soggy.
At any rate, the garlic will make the fish taste bad to the parasites, and they'll drop off in hope of finding more palatable prey.

Otherwise, you could simply give the fish a quick freshwater dip. The fish is immersed in freshwater of a matching temperature and pH. The parasites quickly swell up in freshwater, and the ones which don't outright explode will lose their grip on the fish. Dips are very handy to keep a fish alive long enough for the medicine to work. It's also a nice appetite stimulant. A dip should last as long as the fish can stand it, up to five minutes maximum.
Dipping should be done repeatedly, every other day. The parasites under the fish's slime or deeply embedded in the flesh will be unaffected, so you won't get them all by just dipping.

By the way, a lot of people will scream that dips are stressful and dangerous... *Yawn*
I've dipped over 3000 fish, and only lost about 20 of them from it, and most of those were lost because I did something stupid. You can do the math and decide for yourself if it's dangerous.
Some fish shouldn't be dipped, of course, but a kleini should have no problems. You may elect to not dip, and that's fine, but if the fish gets REALLY sick you'll have it as an emergency backup plan.
Neil
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.11(Sun)21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty me gave it the dip last night and its doing fine today... seems to gain its color back and starting to breath normal... Going to give it another dip tonight.... THANKS!!! btw going to shops now to get the tub from K-mart (I'm in australia...)
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.17(Sat)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Salt seems a bit salty this evening Laughing
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: