Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tadpole in goldfish tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyFishAu
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.14(Fri)1:20    Post subject: Tadpole in goldfish tank Reply with quote

When my step daughter came over for the weekend she brought with her a small tank with very dirty, smelly, green water, full of tadpoles. You can barely see through the water.

Should I give the tadpoles some clean water with water conditioner?

Also, she decided to drop a tadpole into our goldfish tank. Our goldfish are only little so they aren't harassing him. But would it hurt to leave the tadpole there? Least he'd have good clean water?

If so, what will I feed him, and when will I need to think about letting him out of the tank into a small pond? perhaps?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.16(Sun)9:21    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

Those tadpoles NEED the green water: that's what they eat!!
It's OK to change small amounts of water, but don't clean it too well, you'll starve them.
Also, I'd remove the one from the goldfish tank...eventually they'll peck at him and maybe kill him.
What KIND of tadpoles are they??
MyFishAu
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.16(Sun)20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what type of tadpoles they are. My step daughter caught them in a pond near her home.

I caught the one out of my goldfish tank and put him back in the green water.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.16(Sun)22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that tadpoles may spread disease in a tank, but am not sure how true this is.

PostPosted: 2003.02.17(Mon)0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definelty get it cleaned out. otherwise ,they are gonna die on you...and it WILL SMELL!!......

The tadpoles that live on green water are those of African clawed frogs(Xenopus laevis). They only run wild in Africa(duh) and in some parts of Southern CA.

Your tadpoles would benefit quite a bit from being given perhaps a bit more room, clean water, and fish flakes as food. When I kept tadpoles, I remember they relished rabbit food, and algae wafers.

Depending on species(you coupld post a pic to see if someone could ID it) it coul;d take several weeks, or severla years(bullfrog tads).
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.17(Mon)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

try crushing some flake and see if it'll eat it
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.17(Mon)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to prefer them whole...

and I forgot to log in again Embarassed

I'll get used to it sooner or later!
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.17(Mon)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about blood worms or water fleas?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.20(Thu)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, tadpoles eat algae. They ALL eat algae, although some will also eat small infusoria.
The reason they ate algae wafers and rabbit food is because these things are processed greens....I.e. Algae.
I do not say this to be obnoxious, but because it is plain fact. Green water is not going to kill tadpoles...and yes, they could spread disease since they come from a pond..who knows what they brought with them.
IME, the most important factor here is that when they start to change you provide a way for them to get out of the water, lest they drown. The change can happen quite suddenly with some species.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.16(Sun)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have raised tadpoles for years, in ponds, aquariums, and even buckets, you can leave the tadpole in the tank with the goldfish but you have to make sure that there is some sort of rock, wood, or anytype of land in any tank that they are living in because eventually they will loose their ability to get oxygen in through their gills causing them to drown, (I have unfortunatly had to witness it a few time) this usually happens when the front legs appear, DO NOT wait until their tails disapear, by then they won't be able to get oxygen from the water. The tadpoles will eat just about any type of processed fish food, from flakes to algae wafers. I would also try and find out what type of tadpoles they are because they depending on the species they could stay that way for 2-3 years, or just months.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: