Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Salamander/Crab Beach
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RySites

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)5:28    Post subject: DIY Salamander/Crab Beach Reply with quote

Hi all...long time listener, first time caller.
Anyhoo...I've been wanting to add some crabs and/or salamanders to my 29 gal. tank for some time now. I want to build a nice, natural looking and accessible bit of land without sacrificing too much swimming water. I've thought of a few ideas...
-driftwood that would poke out of the water...hard to find just the right one
-stacking slate or other types of rock on top of each other...this worries me since I have nightmares of the rocks falling over and crushing things
-gradual sloping of gravel...but this sacrifices a lot of water area

I could build a inconspicuous one out of metal but I'm not sure what metals are toxic in an aquarium. I see some of you with your paladariums and neat land areas. How did you do it? Thanks for any help you can give.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about a "shelf". It was be supported by wood down to the gravel and come up and out of the water. They only problem I see with is this is it would block light under it. You may have some other issues with them getting out. Also, if you have fish in the tank you'll have to check the compatiblity as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could maybe have some kind of fine mesh, possibly with moss on it to lessen the blockage of light? For example, you can buy reptile "hammocks" that hang in the corners of the enclosure, but maybe one of mesh for fish? Hm. I think I will look into that!
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use rocks and are worried about them shifting or crushing little guys then I would recomend larger stones or just 1 big stone, if its just one big stone you wouldnt have to worry about it sliding off another stone. Or using larger stones, take your time building a retaining wall, don't be hasty take time to interlock the stones like a puzzle and feel for stability, if they are too loose wedge them with a small rock or gravel or rearrange if you have to. If you build it solid this way, the fish or small amphibians are not going to bring it down.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more worried the livestock. What kind of newts? And what kind of crabs?

If mixed together, well, not a good combo. Crabs are scavengers, but they aren't opposed to snagging an easy meal, IE a tail, a limb, even a newt head.

What is in this tank?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RySites

PostPosted: 2003.05.08(Thu)4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
This is just a hypothetical tank. I want to get a new tank when I move into my condo next month and I'm doing all the planning for it now. If I can figure out the rough size of this little beach (or if it's even feasible) then I'd know how big of tank to get.
Thanks for the headsup on the crabs vs newts. I just assumed they'd leave each other alone. Decisions, decisions...
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.09(Fri)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of course recomend as big a tank as feasable, a 40 gal breeder would be a good one its wide and gives depth plus the bigger the tank the easier it will be to have a decent size chunk of land and water.
building a dam out of a piece of glass to permanently block water out of the land would be a very good idea if you want to have plants with dirt, and not worry about drowning them or rotting or souring the soil. you then could just cover the damn with rocks or whatver to hide it.
ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.26(Mon)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm getting in really late here, but I have only recently returned to the forum, and since I have a paludarium I felt compelled to answer.

My land area is made out of dirt in trash cans-- no joke. If I did it again, I think I'd look for one of those little clear plastic critter cages they sell in pet stores since they're clear. The biggest problem with this method is getting the thing to sink. I filled mine up with some rocks before I added the "orchid mix" (it was a well-draining potting soil) and it still floated, so I had to put more rocks on top on the land area, which I hadn't really wanted covered with rocks. The moral of the story-- put more rocks in the container so it sinks without rocks on top-- and test this before you plant the entire thing in a really precarious way, like I did. Two benefits to this method are the fact that the containers are ultimately removable and you still have a useable tank, and they prevent leaching of things into the water from the soil or whatever else is on the land.

If the removability is not an issue for you, I have also seen plans online that simply silicone a piece of acrylic in a diagonal way that maximizes the water portion. I now have ideas for modifying the pal Wink but I don't want to because it's finally getting settled in!

[I just spent a whole lot of time trying to make an ascii one, but that didn't work for the BB; then I tried to find the link and couldn't; so sorry I can't give more information. Picture a "V" except one side of the V is your aquarium glass.]
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.26(Mon)15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
stacking slate or other types of rock on top of each other...this worries me since I have nightmares of the rocks falling over and crushing things

Pssst......silicone.......

You can glue the rocks together, or even to the side of the tank with tank sealant. It's clear, odor-free.....great stuff. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: