Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
The black molly hypbrid. I have read that they are OK inSALT
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)16:36    Post subject: The black molly hypbrid. I have read that they are OK inSALT Reply with quote

Hi all. I was reading a saltwater aquarium book when I came across the page labeled "maturation" I was reading through it and they said that black mollies that have been ajusted to saltwater can be helpfull in the maturation of a tank. Is this true? also mollies are livebearers right? sorry for bad spelling! but would they breed in a saltwater enviroment?
2 winged demons
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

In truth, mollies are brackish water fish.
They'll live in freshwater just fine, and they'll live in saltwater just fine, but they really prefer brackish.

Black mollies aren't as sturdy as other mollies, so putting them into straight saltwater is a bit risky. If you acclimate the fry to saltwater, then they'll be okay, and will even breed.

Yes, mollies are livebearers.

Now, as for your question:
Sailfin mollies are very easy to keep in saltwater, and are indeed useful for cycling new saltwater tanks. Black mollies aren't as useful, because they are weak, and can't take the ammonia as well.
Black mollies crossed with Sailfins will do okay, and will breed in saltwater. If you're lucky, you'll get a black sailfin.

One of the nicest fish I ever had was a Molly I got from crossing Liberty mollies with Blacks and Sailfins. I wish I could remember the "recipe" exactly, but the result was a Black Sailfin which had a red stripe across the top of the sail. I had that fish for about six years. Man, it was nice! I even won a ribbon for it.
* reminisces *
*sigh*

Oh, well, back to the subject at hand:
I've noticed lots of fish boards similar to this one, and for some strange reason most of the posters on them seem to be under some weird impression that Mollies can't live in saltwater. This baffles me to no end, but I can only guess it's a case of one guy doing something wrong, and everyone else playing follow-the-leader when he said it couldn't be done. Well, I'm here to set you straight, just in case you ever run across one of those people. At the Aquarium I worked at, we used mollies as tank cyclers and feeder fishes all the time, and the big local petshop used to get them from us all the time to sell to it's customers for saltwater tank cycling. Of course, the big sailfins were also very popular with freshwater aquarists as well, and we grew them HUGE in our "Dune Lagoon" exhibit, and in all the popular colors.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks oldsalt. I was just making sure that what I read was true. so any type of molly can be kept in saltwater? facinating!
2 winged demons

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mollies living and breeding in my marine tank and they are doing great! I started out by using them for feeders for my eels but now they're part of the family - the ones that don't get eaten that is!
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
thanks oldsalt. I was just making sure that what I read was true. so any type of molly can be kept in saltwater? facinating!

Once again, while the answer is technically yes, Black Mollies aren't the best choice. Decades of inbreeding have made them weaker than the other mollies available.
Those stupid balloon mollies would probably be even worse. If you crossed Blacks with Sailfins, the resulting fish would do just fine.
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.10(Sat)23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seend Mollies and even Guppies in Marine tanks at my LFs used for feeders. If you start a brackish water tank and gradually add salt until it was the level of salt as a marine tank has to be then they will be fine and breed. Good luck.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.19(Mon)6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen mollies used in sw tanks before also. I'm not sure how well they breed in pure salt but they seemed just as healthy as ones kept in fresh water
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: