Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pond re-opening tips, got any
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)10:43    Post subject: Pond re-opening tips, got any Reply with quote

OK well as some of you may remember, last year was the first year I had my pond.
The fish lived in it through the winter and did very well and are now swimming around happily.

Anyhoo as my understanding goes they no longer have there slime coating or some such thing and need to regenerate it...

Any truth to this and if so, any tips to help them regenerate it?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? You've got me....why WOULDN"T They have thier slime coat....I would say, just watch how you feed based on weather. They will be spawning, most likely, as it warms up but is still coolish (depending on where you are, can't remembe, they may have already), so you might watch for fry if you want to try to bring some indoors.
Feed lightly while it's still cool, thier metabolism will be slow, but they'll need those calories now before plant and insects start to supplement the diet.
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.08(Thu)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherry you don't remember where I live Crying or Very sad

lol Canada, and where I am its warm for a couple days then snowed again...

I dunno about the slime coat thing... its something one of my dads friends who has owned a pond for many years, told him. Was the first I'd heard of it. Anyways there metabolism would only be picking up again now due to the weird weather I've been encountering.

Thanks muchly Sherry

Tim
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.08(Thu)20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT's right, you are one of those people Wink Wink
Sorry, I forget these things....
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.08(Thu)21:05    Post subject: Re: Pond re-opening tips, got any Reply with quote

SharkyX wrote:
OK well as some of you may remember, last year was the first year I had my pond.
The fish lived in it through the winter and did very well and are now swimming around happily.

Anyhoo as my understanding goes they no longer have there slime coating or some such thing and need to regenerate it...

Any truth to this and if so, any tips to help them regenerate it?

The truth is it's indirectly correct. During the torpor state fish metabolism slows down so far that the immune system and fat sores are almost completely exhausted by the time of spring warm up. While the statement about the slime coat is oversimplified the effect is exactly the same. The fish are very vulnerable during this time.

Here is an excellent article on winter's effect on ponds.

[url=http://mywebpages.comcast.net/recarlso/reckoi/wintereffects.htm]Winter
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.09(Fri)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, most informative Smile
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: