Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Co2 injector thingy
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaM dA MaN
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)5:49    Post subject: Co2 injector thingy Reply with quote

I'm thinking of setting up some sort of co2 injector into my 10g (photos in the photo album section if you want to chek it out).

Well I've read and I've read and I'm still baffled at how to make one. I really don't want to have to buy one cos I looked at some at my LFS and they apeared to be pretty pricey.

If any one has some sort of directions, instructions, articles, pictures, website, or watever on how to make one that would be really cool.

Also does low KH mean low levels of co2? I've noticed that my tank has a low KH so if thats true that could mean that I need more co2.

Thanks.
ISquishWorms
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a low KH I would first try and get this increased before adding any CO2 one way to do this is by adding baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

As for any insturctions on how to make a DIY CO2 reactor you could try here as these are the plans that I have used.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2453

Here's the topic I had on DIY CO2. You should always check out the topics before you post because you might find what you are looking for. Also, check out the tips page it's got a CO2 article in it as well. How big is the tank?
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use a glass diffuser. At first I was worried about its efficieny untill I put it on my 150g. It works plenty well for an aquarium this size for me so I'd imagine it would work very well for a 10g. a 20# co2 tank would last well over a year for you, I've had my 20#er going a few months all ready on an aquarium 15 times bigger and it still does'nt feel close to empty.
The nice thing is they don't need a motor or make noise like bubbles hitting an impeller.
stunned_mullet
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.08(Thu)7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

KH refers the the buffering of your water, the higher the buffering the less the pH will drop if you choose to inject CO2, something like that anyway. In order words unless your fish don't mind low pH water (acidic), you should find a way to increase your buffering. Adding baking soda works but you'll have to keep on adding it. I would try adding coral pieces some where into your tank, you can add some into your filter if wish. This method may or not work for you but its worth a shot. There are other methods but I can't remember any atm.

About your CO2, its very simple. An easy and quick way is to get the following equipment, they can be found at the supermarket and your LFS.

A 2L coke bottle, suger, yeast, airline tube (try not to get the standard airline tube because they can break down over time), airline connectors (just ask your LFS, I'm sure they know which size to get ya). Some silicon, I use the glass one which is acetone free which can be used for building a tank too.

The CO2 mixture I use it 1 teaspoon yeast, 1 cup suger, 5 cups water. I just dissolve the suger first then add the yeast, nothing special done but of course there are better ways of doing this but I'm too lazy to go through them.

Drill a hole into the lid of the coke bottle so that the airline connector can fit tightly into place, then place some of the silicon around that to block off any holes, the connect the airline tube onto the connector then you're done. If you're not building a reactor just use an airstone and bubble the CO2 into your filter and you're done.

Anyways hope that helps.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: