Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting for low light coral/anemones
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)17:02    Post subject: Lighting for low light coral/anemones Reply with quote

I have a 29g tank and would like to put some corals and/or anemones in it. The tank contains a Yellow Tang, a Flame Angel, a Fiji Blue Devil Damsel, and a Six line Wrasse. Right now I have a 20 Watt NO on it. I want to replace this with a not too expensive (around a 100 you.S. dollars or so) lighting system. How much lighting is needed for some of the low light corals and anemones. My tank is 18 inches deep. Any reccomendations on species of coral and anemones would also be appreciated. Thanks.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you can spend about 140 bucks, an Eclipse 3 hood with a Power Compact SmartLite retrofit kit would let you keep a lot more than just the low-light corals.
You can find them in the Drs. Foster & Smith catalog.

Otherwise, you may be able to make the retrofit kit itself work with your own hood for only sixty bucks.

Stay away from anemones, except for maybe flower anemones. Some of the easiest corals to keep would be the Mushrooms and zooanthid polyps. They would grow & spread all over the tank.
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I secound the elcipse idea. I have a e3 on a 32g. with some a little bit of modifying the lighting is 60watts of no and I made space for a prizm skimmer. I have mushrooms and some polypy thing. I think its somthing like a star polyp or somthing. well all my corals are doing well and reproducing so I get baby mushrooms apearing about 1 a month and the polyps went from like 17 to about 50 now. though a pc kit would do great!
2 winged demons
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellolights.com sells a 2x24" VHO retrofit kit with a ballast thatll go up to 440 watts for $145 . For about the same price as the Eclipse hood I could run two 75 watt VHOs. It seems like by buying an eclipse hood for a lighting upgrade I'ld be spending some of the money that could go toward lighting on more filters. And if I got the VHOs I could use the same ballast if I ever decided to create a larger reef tank. Thanks for the input.
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the corals. Just one thing, it seems like you may have too many fish in your tank. The tang would be too much, no matter how many fish you got rid of. The tang should really be in a much larger tank.

Helen
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The tang would be too much, no matter how many fish you got rid of. The tang should really be in a much larger tank.

I've read this. I got all these fish from a guy who was changing his 55 from saltwater to fresh. The tang has lived for 7 years in a 55 and he seems to be doing fine in my 29 I don't have a bigger tank to put it in. I thought about selling it back to my lfs but you can tell its 7 years old by looking at its face I don't think they would take it. I don't have anything else to do with it.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: