Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish agression
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.04(Wed)13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dianne, goldfish do better in colder, unheated tanks. This is mainly due to their oxygen needs, which are quite high, because of body mass.
Dianne
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.04(Wed)18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

My objection is probably reactionary. When I was a raw beginner, I read that goldfish were coldwater fish and herbivores, and needed temperatures of 65 degrees or less. I took the goldfish (fantails) I then owned back to the lfs and traded them in for tropicals, because my husband was not going to (peacefully) let me shell out 500 dollars for a chiller, or cool the house to 65 in the summer. Silly, I know, and I did observe that the lfs didn't have a chiller for their goldfish. I also observed that mine wouldn't touch the algae sheets I clipped onto the tank, but they loved shrimp pellets. And I wondered how koi and goldies stood pond temperatures in summer here in NC.

I now have had two fancies in my 20 gallon tank for two years with no problems at house temperatures. I agree that, being large, bulky fish, they need lots of space and oxygen, and will likely need a bigger tank in another year or two. Cooler water holds more oxygen, and within reason, is better for them.

So we mostly agree, I think. ???
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.04(Wed)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure. I knew what you meant, but I stuck that in there in case somebody reading this thread took it to mean they were heat lovers, or could be mixed with tropicals safely.
Some people suggest giving goldies 15-20 gallons each, but I find that until they get really massive, 10-12 seems to be OK.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.05(Thu)17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'm a little curious about how much current a hillstream pleco would require. I keep my goldfish one common and one shubunkin in a 55 gallon tank... for filtration I use two penguin 330's, which roughly cycles the water 12 times per hour. My goldfish have never had a problem with this much current, even when they were small. I can see where fancy goldfish could have a problem with this much current, but shubunkins (?).
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn, I would think you could find a happy medium there somewhere. Aren't shubunkins fancy types with a certain coloration (some blue and orange spots....)? Or am I embarrassing myself with my dim recollections of goldfish types?
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they have somewhat fancy color, but they're not built much different than a common/comet (or at least mine isn't). They are fast swimmers and aggressive eaters. Current doesn't bother them as far as I can tell. Mine have been in this set up for a number of years now. I really was curious about Tara's comment regarding how much filtration/current would be necessary to keep a hillstream loach (if we're talking about the same fish) because I believe 12 times an hour is a lot of filtration/current, ya know.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm> I thought shubunkins were built more like the fancy's...kind of egg-shaped body.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more than type of shubunkin. Animal soup has a brief explanation in goldfish varieties and you can see pictures of them in the goldfish photo gallery, the middle picture by Charles Kraft looks almost just like mine, but mine is a little more slender. He was a prize that my kids won though, so he probably isn't the best specimen.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: