Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish agression
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillaz
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)5:34    Post subject: Goldfish agression Reply with quote

Recently I set up a coldwater tank and introduced into it 2 small (1.5") goldfish. One common and one shubunkin, the shubunkin quickly took to the tank and enjoyed the current created by the filter whereas the common was very sluggish. I woke up this morning to find the shubunkin being chased all over the tank by the common. I have seen both feed and the fish look healthy but the common won't leave the shubunkin alone. I don't have the space to sperate them and I don't really want to exchange them (the family have fallen in love with them) will this agression die down? Will adding another fish help? Any help would be greatful.
Dan
Carol
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should die down after they find out who is the boss or they may even be playing. Keep an eye to make sure that noone gets hurt. You can always buy a seperater for your tank.
Good luck
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably SPAWNING. This is about that time of year. I doubt you'll get any eggs out of it, but if you watch carefully and remove them in time you could try to hatch some out.
Gillaz
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since realised the common is only aggresive while feeding, this doesn't seem to very violent just inconvenient for the shubunkin. The shubunkin still manages to feed all though he doesn't get as much as the common (although I think I feed to much anyway, so in reality he is having enough)however, I am bothered that the common may get bigger than the shubunkin and cause problems later on. I had considered the idea that they may be spawning and I will keep an eye open for that. One last point, would a hong kong plec (Beaufortia leveretti) be compatable with the original fish, do they require bogwood as part of their diet as some othe sucker mouth species do?
Thanks
Dan
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plec is a tropical fish, so should stay out of a goldfish tank (goldfish are cold water species.)
Gillaz
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.08(Thu)8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hong Kong plec is actually a Hill-stream balitorids (and is loach) and usually lives in water that is between 17c-25c they grow to around 10cms,
will this live happily with goldish ( I would imagine so, I just wanted to check).
Dan
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.05.08(Thu)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the HongKong loach, or hillstream pleco, etc, is that they do like cooler water, but also very very oxyegenated water, and a strong current. Goldfish, I doubt, will like a strong current in their tank.

Also, what is the size of the tank?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.08(Thu)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry: guess that will teach me to double-check species, won't it Embarassed Embarassed
Gillaz
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.20(Tue)13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Goldfish update
The goldie which persisted in being aggressive during feeding time has turned over a new leaf. Cartmen (southpark, he is really mean and fat) got a bacterial infection that I treated for a few days ago. It has all but cleared up and Cartmen doesn't chace the other shubunkin about any more Happy Happy Joy Joy!!

They follow each other like they are best buddies now and I have a calm tank once again.

Can you feed ants eggs/bloodworm to coldwater fish I feed them to tropicals I just wanted make sure they were suitable.

Thanks for all the posts on the subject

Dan
Dianne
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.04(Wed)12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gillaz,

This is just my opinion, and maybe a case of semantics, but I cringe when I hear goldfish classed as "coldwater fish." Salmon and trout and the like are true coldwater fish, which can't tolerate temperate climates as goldfish do.

You can feed your goldfish meaty foods such as earthworms as occasional treats. I've never tried ants, but I did try aphids, and mine wouldn't eat them. Mine do like frozen mysis shrimp, krill, and such, but I don't use these often as they tend to induce spawning. (My female can't hide from my male very well in their 20-gallon tank.)
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: