Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SPS with PC's?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.13(Thu)17:33    Post subject: SPS with PC's? Reply with quote

I haven't visited in a while. What happened to all the old threads. I looked around for an announcement on it, but haven't found anything.

Anyway, this is the place I first came to for advice on setting up my tank, and it has been about six months, and everything is going very well, except for a nagging cyano problem, which I am hear is normal for a tank to experience at about four to six months. Besides that all my fish and coral are doing well.

I have been assuming that SPS were out of the question for my tank, but now that I have all the LPS that I want (which from the start was the reason I wanted to set up a reef), I'm wondering if with my set up, I can do some SPS.

I have a 20 gallon tank, with 2 55 watt PC's. One full spectrum, one actinic. I have live sand, live rock, 2 powerheads that provide good circulation, and a sucky protein skimmer. My parameters are all normal, ammonia and nitrite at 0 ppm, nitrate always a bit higher than I would like at about 15. I keep up with calcium and alkalinity supplements to be in the recommended range. I can never remember off the top of my head what those numbers are supposed to be, but I have them in the range where the Seachem bottles reccomend them. My pH I keep at about 8.2, and my temp. at about the low 80's. My phosphates are also a little higher than I would like, but that number I can't recall either right now. You think that after testing every other week for six months would help me remember these numbers, but I guess not. Besides that, not sure what else I need to report.

So yes or no to SPS?
PuffFAC
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.15(Sat)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen,

I wouldn't call 110w of PC lighting over a 20 gallon tank, "low light", LOL. You should be more than fine with ANY SPS in that tank...all should do well. The easiest SPS I've found to keep is montipora...I've kept it even under NO lighting (in a shallow tank [10gal]) and it showed growth and only slight discolouration (a bit of colour change as it delt with the change in light intesity). But with that lighting system, I don't see you having problems with montipora, pocillopora, acropora, hydnophora, etc. Basically anything at all.

HTH,
Fred
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.15(Sat)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoopee. I thought that I didn't really have anything else to add to my tank, but some SPS should be interesting. I never really bothered much with reading the SPS section of any of my books, but I guess now I better get started. Just a quick question though, since I don't have access to my books at the moment, are SPS in general more demanding or less hardy compared to SPS or softies?

Thanks for the info.

Helen
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.02.16(Sun)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a 20 High or 20 long? That lighting on a long should be fine for most SPS. If it's a 20 high I wouldn't place them below the halfway point in that tank.
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.19(Wed)17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 20 Long.

If I buy frags that are propagated in Mh tanks and move them to my tanks, will they most likely lose their brilliant coloring? The reason that I wanted to go into SPS are for some of the nicer colors that I have seen, but if those colors will not be maintained in my tank due to my low light, I would rather not get them.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.02.19(Wed)17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they probably wouldn't be as brilliantly colored under the PC's. Although the would still look pretty good.
Pineapple House
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.27(Thu)22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must strongly disagree with the above posts.

First, as stated above, your lighting wouldn't really be counted for 'low light,' but it's not really 'strong light' either.

You should not venture into keeping Small Polyp Scleractinians (Stoney) until you have a good amount of halides over that tank. You cannot keep any Small Polyp Stoney coral you wanted in that tank, with that lighting. It simply cannot be done.

Yes, you could very easily get away with keeping some species of Montipora, Hydnophora, Pavana, Porities, and Birds nest if placed up on the higher portion of your tank. These are the more low light SPS corals, which are much easier to take care of.

Now, here comes the bad statements. You will most likely not see that brilliant colors that you usually see in tanks lit with 400wt halides. Instead, most of your corals will turn a dull brown. This is from increased zooxanthellae build up, which is used to catch more lighting. You might also notice extremely slow growth, and in some corals, bleaching. The growth of Small Polyp Stonies under florecent lights is almost next to nothing. Don't count on seeing some nice coloration, as well as growth on those corals.

I personally wouldn't keep any SPS under PC's for the long run. I can speak with experience when I say that. I've lost quite a bit of Small Polyp Stonies under Florecent lighting, they simply don't do their best. Why put a coral under anything but their best, can you tell me that? They do best with halides, a good calcium level, Good currents, and a mature tank. If your tank is younger than 7 months, forget the idea of Small Polyp Stonies. If your calcium is lower than 400ppm, or swings frequitly, forget the idea of Small Polyp Stonies. If you don't have good currents, forget the idea of Small Polyp Stonies.

There are many things that stoney corals need to grow and thrive, being in a newly setup tank which is not stable enough is not one of them.

As stated before, I would leave off on the SPS corals. If your tank is older than 7 months, you have a good calcium level, good currents, as well as good water parimeters (low fish load preferably), you can try some of the corals listed above. I can only hope you got this in time.

Regards,
Graham
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.14(Fri)16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, you did, get to me in time, that is. As with all other things saltwater, the thing to do would be to go slow and research before doing anything. I haven't purchased any SPS, yet. My tank is over six months old, I do keep my calcium levels up, and I do have plenty of current. With that said, if I do wind up trying some SPS, they will be the lower light ones, and they will be placed as high as possible in my tank.

Thanks of the advice pH.
Pineapple House
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.14(Fri)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydnophora-They grow like a weed. I have kept one at the very bottom of a 24" tank (on the substrate), lit with 8x 65wt PC's for over 4 months, and the coral continued to grow, while still showing exelent coloration. I find this to be an extremely hardy coral, that grows well under most lighting conditions. These are slightly aggressive though. I've seen much more growth with my Hydnophora under Halides than PC's.

Montipora- Another extremely hardy species. Montipora Digitata is a branching species, that is very hardy. I have kept one high up in the rockwork on the 80 gallon with the PC's, and it grew...slowey. I will say that it didn't have the best coloration, and it turned slightly brown from increased zooxanthellae. For the most part, this is extremely fast growing unde the correct conditions.

One of the above would personally be my first choice. From there, once you gain more knowledge on SPS husbandry (if you haven't done that already Smile ), you could slowely venture your way into the Birds Nest, Pavana, and eventually the Porities. There's plenty of information here, as well as on other sites about SPS care. It's only a click away Smile

Graham
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: