Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black moor question and UV light question
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.04(Sun)8:04    Post subject: Black moor question and UV light question Reply with quote

I have two goldfish in a 55 gal tank, a black moor and a shubunkin. They're on a pretty much a varied diet, and they look great, but my black moor in the past few weeks has stopped being black. In fact, he is now a bright orange except for a few specks of black soot. I've read it's normal for some black moors to change color like this, but this seems ridiculous! Is there any way to get him back to his original color, or is this just the way he's going to be the rest of his life?

Also, in the same tank, I also have a constant free-floating algae problem. I guess they must take care of whatever tries to grow on the decorations, but within a week, the water is half way to pea soup. It's running on a Fluval 404 and my water quality is always good (0 on everything, except nitrates which is always low, usually <5). I've reduced the amount of food they get, the # of hours, I properly fertilize the plants in there, but nothing has worked. I've been stuck doing 50% water changes every week.

Someone recently recommended a UV light for the algae. He said it would actually kill all the algae in a matter of hours. That's great, but (1) is this true, and (2) with that kind of power, what's the harm potential to my fish? Has anyone had experience with these bulbs?

Thanks so much for the help!
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.04(Sun)8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your black moor isn't a black moor. He's just just a juvenile fish, gaining his real color. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but many shops sell juvie fish they call "black moors"...only they will change color completely within 6 months to a year.
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.04(Sun)12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... he is still cute... if only the Hitler moustache he is now baring weren't so disturbing...
Carol
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats to bad because a black moor is a great fish. They are usually so friendly its to much fun. You may want to try again this time make sure to get a real one, you won't regret it.
The algae may be because your filter is not cultured properly. Someone else may be able to help you out a lot better than I can on that matter.
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're both really great fish. Very sociable and follow you back and forth as you walk past.

Actually, now that you mention it... how would you tell a true black moor from just a black telescope eye? They seem identical when they're that young. Is it just a matter of trusting your source?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's partially a question of trusting your source, but also, the juvie telescopes tend to be lighter in color, especially around the belly. A true black moor should be velvety black all over, where if you look closely you can see a tinge of gold on the others.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: