Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
blue tangs turning white
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChuckyV
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)8:15    Post subject: blue tangs turning white Reply with quote

We have three med sized blue tangs in a community tank, 55 gal. They are loosing their blue color. We were feeding mostly animal matter, flake food, shrimp, dapnia, krill etc, but have switched to algae and spirulina as primary with about 20 percent animal protien. There has been some color recovery but not complete in two of the fish and the third is unchanged. (Note) now that we have reversed the food type priorities our long term blue damsel is loseing his color. Water conditions are kept 78 deg., pH 7.5-8.5, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all in the normal to low acceptability with very little fluctuation. The fish also appear healthy in every other aspect, feeding moving, skin condition etc. Just turning white, and it's UGLY.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangs as in tanganikian cichlids? I just want to clear that up because most of us refer to tangs as the saltwater tang. Forget it I noticed you have damsels in there as well which means this is a saltwater tank and should be in the saltwater section.

Also, there is no low acceptability level with ammonia or nitrite. There should also be no fluctuations with those two and both should be at 0 for a healthy fish. Also, pH swings between 7.5 and 8.5 are rather high and should be checked out at well. A pH swing of more than 0.4ish either up or down could cause problems as well.

Someone can correct me if I'm totally off base here but aren't 3 tangs in a 55g too many due to the agressiveness and territorialness of these fish?

Since I'm not well versed in saltwater ailments I'll move this to where the experts can help.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Grown Blue tangs in a 55 is way too much. 1 Full grown Blue Tang in a 55 is too much.

All Tangs do lose some color as they age. They dull out a bit.

Diet and pH do affect this.

Your pH should not vary that greatly. I have a 55 gallon Reef tanks and I use Seachem Buffer 8.2. Since I have started my pH has never varied a bit.

The key to a saltwater tank is good numbers and balance. Those numbers shouldn't fluctuate.

What are your feeding habits? Tangs like all herbivores are pickers. They should have a some algae to pick on all day. If you feed them one meal a day they will not get there proper nutrition.

I use a veggie clip and put a square of dried algae on it. The Herbivores like my tang and blenny pick at it all day. I also supplement that with live macroalgae which my tang loves. I grow it in my refugium and drop in every now and then.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to concur.
The first thing you must do is get those pH swings stopped. 8.2-8.4, somewhere in there and that's where it must STAY.
Your alkalinity may be too low, so check that and add some kalkwasser if needed.
A large water change is probably in order.

As for the food, try some LIFELINE brand food. It's the very best that money can buy, and it should get your tangs color restored. Increase your skimming as well.

Finally, the others are right in that 3 blue tangs won't live very well in a little 55 gallon tank. You say they are "Medium" sized, but just how big IS that anyway?
Do you know how big they'll be once they are large?
Are these atlantic or pacific blues?
tylere

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey I have had the same problem so I will be able to help you all those other people just rambeled on about nothing thats going to help you right. well what size of tank do you have I have two thirty gallons and I notices that my blue tang was acting funny after a couple days I bought it and right in the middle off the black is where it turned bright white right ? I don't remember what parasite it is called but I called me fish dealer and you put copper power if you don't have it . its only like 5 dollars not bad but um when I did my water change my fish almost died I went into my room 20 minutes later and the fish was acting dead on the bottom of the tank I was like ah hell no so I put my hand in there and it swum off pretty fast it took about a week for all the white to go away but it worked and my fish is looking great now and I added a maroon fire fish they are beutiful your fish should do fine after some copper power it worked for me, and a nother thing I've never even thought about those nitrite nitrate only once have I had my water do funny things on my change your water like the 1rst of the month and then on like the 25th its just a few things less to worry about good luck
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylere wrote:
hey I have had the same problem so I will be able to help you all those other people just rambeled on about nothing thats going to help you right. well what size of tank do you have I have two thirty gallons and I notices that my blue tang was acting funny after a couple days I bought it and right in the middle off the black is where it turned bright white right ? I don't remember what parasite it is called but I called me fish dealer and you put copper power if you don't have it . its only like 5 dollars not bad but um when I did my water change my fish almost died I went into my room 20 minutes later and the fish was acting dead on the bottom of the tank I was like ah hell no so I put my hand in there and it swum off pretty fast it took about a week for all the white to go away but it worked and my fish is looking great now and I added a maroon fire fish they are beutiful your fish should do fine after some copper power it worked for me, and a nother thing I've never even thought about those nitrite nitrate only once have I had my water do funny things on my change your water like the 1rst of the month and then on like the 25th its just a few things less to worry about good luck

there's only two period's in that whole Paragraph Laughing Laughing

ChuckV it could be some kind of infection. That's possible. A word of warning though if you have any corals, snails, anenome's, or crabs in that tank the copper power will kill them.
tylere

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know this is english class smart @$$ oh no there isnt a perioud here either
GrendelPrime76
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least he can spell. lol
tylere

PostPosted: 2003.05.06(Tue)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah at least
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.19(Mon)5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having 3 tangs in a 55 is not a good idea. Tangs can become very terrirorial especially if crowded together and this can cause major stress. Tangs are a more delicate fish and stress can be the root of diseases in these types of fish. Also if your switching there diet which is a good idea they need lots of greens with the diet. A varied diet also helps against ick and hole in head disease which they are very sucepptible.

Quote:
Water conditions are kept 78 deg., pH 7.5-8.5, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all in the normal to low acceptability with very little fluctuation.

Your pH needs to be stabalized 8.2-8.4 is where you want it. You say the other parameters have very little fluctuation. In ammonia and nitrite it should be no fluctuation and remain at 0. Any showing of these 2 in a tank can easily affect a fish like a tang. I'm curious how old is this tank? A saltwater tank actually takes at least 6 months to a year to be considerd fully mature and tangs should be added at least after the 6 month mark. This is the time when your tank will fluctuate the most.

I agree your pH problem may be an alkalinity problem. You want your alkalinity 9-12 dkh. Alkalinity and pH actually work together you can't have one without the other. Once you get your alk stabalized chances are your pH will stabalize also. It may sound weird but putting a saltwater fish in a low alk water is actually like putting it in an acid bath and can have a huge affect on the fish.

tylere

Are you keeping your tangs in a 30 gallon? Nothing under a 55 is reccomended for a tang and thats certain species other types you should have at least a 75 minimum for. Tangs are big swimmers and can be very territorial and or stressed if kept in a small tank.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: