Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
archer fish in ponds
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)19:33    Post subject: archer fish in ponds Reply with quote

can archer fish be kept in ponds?
AlleyCat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.01(Thu)12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Yes, If you can keep the temp between 75-82 degree's, I think they would be fine.

What part of the world do you live in?

A.C.
Andy

PostPosted: 2003.05.01(Thu)15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Soutnern California. Is there any cHANCE OF KEEPING KOI W/ THEM?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.01(Thu)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think so. I imagine koi would veiw them as a tasty snack: that's an expensive snack for you to provide.

PostPosted: 2003.05.01(Thu)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

SherryNE wrote:
I wouldn't think so. I imagine koi would veiw them as a tasty snack: that's an expensive snack for you to provide.

I doubt it. Confused Koi really arent predators and I doubt they would be fast or agile enough to catch them even if they wanted to. Archers can also reach a formidable size of around a foot.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.05.01(Thu)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archers and koi need different water temperatures and conditions. And yes, koi can be lightning quick, and I have no doubts that they could eat an archer, not after seeing a few harmless comets pick apart a crayfish...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: 2003.05.01(Thu)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I was not commenting about the water conditions and your are correct they do indeed.
2. As fast as any Koi can be a archer could still move faster. Koi tend to be on the fat side Razz
3. As I stated before they are not preds they are more on the scavenger side getting a meal where they can, and a well feed koi wouldnt want to waste the time or energy it would take to hunt the archer down.
4. how is a crayfish a good example of a pondcarplike fishes killing ability? A crayfish is a slow moving bottom dwelling crustacean the other a large speedy surface dwelling fish yah thats brilliant. Rolling Eyes

added by SherryNE:
There is no reason to be rude to someone trying to help you, regardless of thier correctness/incorrectness.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.01(Thu)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your pond is large enough for Koi, keeping them with Archer fish shouldn't pose much of a problem. Archer fish would make a terrific additions to a pond in semi-tropical climates. I'd hadn't considered Archer fish for my pond, but I'm seriously considering adding a couple when the "new" pond is finished and is ready to re-stock.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.07(Wed)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

aren't archer fish a brakish fish? or can they be kept in freshwater tanks?
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: