Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Moron Landlord Killing Koi
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)18:36    Post subject: Moron Landlord Killing Koi Reply with quote

I live in a 2 family house and my landlord put in a 1000 gallon pond in the backyard.

I told him when he put it in that it will need some form of shade. He told me the filter and the UV will keep it clean. I pressed it again and he wan't buying it. I left seeing much doom in his future.

Well here we are about a month later and the first good strong days of daylight have arrived in spring and wadda ya know. He's got pea soup. From dusk till dawn he has total exposure to sunlight.

He has very little surface agitation and now all his fish are starting to die.

I've never owned a pond or have been around one. I know a little from reading articles here and there.

I need some advice on what to tell this guy.

First: How can we get rid of the algae quickly? Its green and suspended.
Secondly: Easy forms of shade? Floating plants small tree? etc.
thridly anything else you can give me.

I ran some tests with my freshwater test kit.

pH 6.9 ish
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
so the water's good

I do wonder if he's used a treatment to dissolve metals and chlorine for the tap water he pumped in there. I'll have to find that out. Anybody recommend a brand?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a bunch of Daphnia in the pond. They'll clear up the algae pretty quick.
hehehheh...

No, I'm kidding. It's too late for that. Any Daphnia should have gone in much earlier. Now they'd just suffocate the fish and shoot the ammonia through the roof.
For that matter, so would another UV unit or two.

Question: How big a UV does he have, and does he leave it running 24/7 , or foolishly turn it off for whatever reason?
Is the filter the right size? You said there isn't much agitation, so I wonder if it's evev big enough for the pool.

I see a big water change in the future. Big. Once that algae dies, the nutrients it holds will be released back into the water, making new algae grow. It'll also wreak havoc on the ammonia.

Until he gets things under control, this pool will need a LOT of shade. I'm talkin' about a tarp over the whole thing kind of shade.

Algae is a lot easier to prevent than it is to remove. I hope he's more careful the next time.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

He leaves the UV on 24/7

I don't know the specs I'll have to take a look on the filter and UV.

I'll suggest the tarp.

He's treating with an algae remover formula the store recommended.

He's trying I ran into him doing water tests and dosing the algae remover.

Hopefully he won't kill to many fish before he gets over his rookie mistakes.

thanks for the suggestions.
ali136

PostPosted: 2003.05.02(Fri)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, well, used to. I went to the local store and they gave me water hyacinths. they didn't work at all, and the fish loved to eat the insects off of the roots, which killed the plants. I tried the algae remover, didn't work either. I tried water clear, and different chemicals, none worked. Finally, I dug into my pocket and bought a huge bio filter. Within a week the water was perfectly clear. This year, when I started up my pond, the water was yucky and smelly. I hooked up the bio filter, added some barley straw pellets and within days it's looking great. I also have the filter hooked up to a fountain in the pond, which keeps one part of the surface constantly in motion. I suggest staying away from chemicals as much as possible. I know a lot of people who use barley straw and are very pleased with it.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'dals reccomend a big pond filter for the situation. Depending on the number of fish and the ponds age, thinning out the stock might also help.

Last edited by nonamethefish on 2003.05.03(Sat)22:58; edited 1 time in total
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)18:02    Post subject: Search on Strawberry pot trickle tower Reply with quote

First, understand that the green water is protecting the fish from herons and other predators since they have no other place to hide.

Koi are tough on plants, and they dig enough to keep the water murky if they can get into the plants. To keep koi and plants, sometimes you have to build a separate place for the plants that the koi cannot get into. Though, some people keep both, I think one has to balance the plant growth against the fish damaging rate.

How about suggesting a bridge over the pond, they will like the shade, and it gets the landlord closer to the fish.
Carol
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the water temperature?
Water flow is a must.
Tell him he should sit down and read a book on ponds and pond fish.
Carol
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.04(Sun)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Algae destroyer is really only temporary. I would suggest doing a water change, a large one, and I would see if anywhere can keep the koi temporarily. Pet stores can board fish, and might board small koi. I would suggest finding one you trust and asking. There's not much you can do now, other than starting completely over with the basics and trying to instruct your landlord in the ways of fish-keeping, not fish-having.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.05.05(Mon)23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's been using algae destroyer for a week now and no change at all. I suggested barley to him and I think he's going to attempt that. I'll also suggest the big bio-filter too him. Thanks for the help Very Happy
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: