Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Substrate driving me insane!!! And Filters...
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil again...

PostPosted: 2003.04.28(Mon)5:15    Post subject: Substrate driving me insane!!! And Filters... Reply with quote

What substrate do I use? I love the way sand looks but what sand to use? Will anysand do? And if I use live sand do I need special lighting??? Argh this substrate thign is driving me insane... BTW ordered my tank - its 6ftx20inch high x 14inch deep works out to be about 87gal or so... For my room Smile Yeah anyway... please healp me out with this... And what you guys think about a submersible filter? The Atman or sumthing this is the link http://www.aquaria.com.au/db/shopping/?db=aquariacat&Section=Freshwater It says freshwater but the person (and on the box) said its fine for salwater.... Thanks!! Neil!!!
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.28(Mon)10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link goes nowhere.

As for special lighting, you won't need it just for live sand. You might need it for other stuff, though, depending on what you're planning for this tank.

Come to think of it, your plans for this tank will have a big impact on what type(s) of filter(s) to use.
Perhaps you could give us a little hint?
neil

PostPosted: 2003.04.28(Mon)23:59    Post subject: well here you go.... Reply with quote

I'm going to keep a only fish tank and hoping for sand as I can't get crush coral here in sydney, well the store I use doesn't have n e. So I want to get sand as the substrate... Any special type of sand??? Yeah well there are my plans... Laughing
+bluehalo+
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.29(Tue)6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm spelling this correctingly, but can you get Aragonite? It's the stuff they market as "live" sand and comes in a bag usually with some water. This is what everyone I know who has set up a FO or FOWLR tank has used.

HTH,
Adam
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.29(Tue)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might help a bit:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6279/LetterAragoniteVsCrushedCoral.html
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people use silica sand without any problems but aragonite is the ;best you can get for a saltwater aquarium. Theres one type thats really cheap its called southdown sand and is sold in hardware stores but since your in Austrailia it might not be available. Also I've heard of several people having luck with quikcrete sand that may be available to you or maby Caribsea live sand which is an aragonite sand also. If you can't find any of those types then try this site

http://www.purearagonite.com/
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: