Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish question....
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.29(Tue)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't buy them that way, they don't show thier full potential until they are much older.

PostPosted: 2003.04.29(Tue)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean? you mean nobody sells them untill they reach a certain age? Please clarify.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.29(Tue)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you can buy them but you won't have any idea of what they will turn out like. golfish only develop their full body shape, colour and well 'growths' (oranda heads, bubble eyes) until they are adults. So you could get a really nice specimen or a dull drab one if you buy when they are young.

PostPosted: 2003.04.29(Tue)15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what would they run as babies? (loose figure) Smile
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.29(Tue)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought orandas and ranchus and one pearlscale oranda as young fish for about 5-10.00 each. None of the above proved to be a particularly GREAT specimen, but face it, how many of us really NEED a 300.00 goldfish in our tank just because it has a perfectly egg-shaped body?
Anywho, to get the really good wen (head growth), you need to feed massive amounts of live foods and provide prisitne water...sunlight is good, too.
wdizneguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)0:33    Post subject: Kriekkies in deed Reply with quote

Well I also live in San Diego, and I have gotten all my fancy goldfish from various lfs here in San Diego. I have four, Three Ryukins (one red and white-"Bullseye", solid orange-"The Cow", and a white one- he's the baby! and a chocoalte oranda- "Hershey", who incedently is as large as "The Cow". And all are living in a 30gal hex, they love it. I do a lot more frequent water changes than normal because of the size of the tank. Bullseye is recovering from fin rot in the tail which is the only problem I have had with him in the two years I have had him. But other than that I love the fancies. Mine are in perfect health and growing at what seems like a astronmical rate on a daily basis. Friends come over and shriek in horror at the size and shape of them! I don't care I love them all. Most people don't even know immediately they are even goldfish. They want to know what that deformed fish is. Ha Ha Ha.

As far as the goldfish connection goes...Rick is great you should order his book if you are just getting into the fancier goldfish, it is like my goldfish bible! I ordered it from him and it is great lots of information and awesome pictures to boot! I haven't ordered fish from him I just drool longingly at the pictures! I have however ordered food from the site and it is the best stuff. All my fish love it. I got the Conditioner, pro gold and the spriulina flakes, they gobble it all up. The pro gold is newer I had ordered the sho gold before and have now switched. I don't have any flipover problems or anything, except it has caused them to look great and grow great bodies and excellent tails. Rick is more than co operative and will answer any and all questions you may have. A great guy!

Best of Luck!

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the input folks, much appreciatted.

Hey Troy, have you been to Fountains aquarium here in San diego?
that place is like a mini Sea world, it rocks ! Cool

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
OK, thanks for the input folks, much appreciatted.

Hey Troy, have you been to Fountains aquarium here in San diego?
that place is like a mini Sea world, it rocks ! Cool

Yep I love that place I have been going there off and on for years I rember when it was down the street in a much smaller place! The have really great tanks! Have you been to Animal Kingdom, down on Sprts Arena they are great there outstanding fish depatrment. Though Fountains has a greater selection of fancy goldfish last time I was there.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: