Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish question....
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 2003.04.26(Sat)16:46    Post subject: Goldfish question.... Reply with quote

I am thinking about getting one of those goldfish that gets huge and bulky. I've seen pictures of them actually being petted on the head, they are so adapted. Any reccomendations as to what kind? also, any pictures would be awesome.
Thanks, Question

PostPosted: 2003.04.26(Sat)16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but maybe you watched the news last week. There was a goldfish named Bob that had a swim bladder problem and could not swim. They built a training device for it (as odd as that sounds).
That's the type of fish I want.
Thanks,
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.26(Sat)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big do you mean? We have goldfish in a pond that are about 6-7 inches long, which is pretty big for a goldfish (they started as feeders Smile ).
However, most goldfish do not get very bulky. Perhaps the fish you saw was a koi? Koi can grow very large (2-3 ft.) and have very thick bodies. They must be kept in ponds, however, because they will not stay small in home aqauria.

PostPosted: 2003.04.26(Sat)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it was shaped like a large orange with large, thin fins. It was maybe 6 inches long and orange and white in color. I'll check around on some sites.

PostPosted: 2003.04.26(Sat)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, it's an Oranda. Wink
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.27(Sun)6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

That description could fit a lot of fancy goldfish types, llok at this site to id the type you want:

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/goldfish.htm

bear in mind that these fishes cannot have too much current because they're fins are so long (and they are fat) that they have difficulties swimming. Also they cannot be kept with any other 'non-fancy' goldfish like comets because they won't get any food(too slow). In fact some types like the bubble eye and celestial can't even see their food properly and just swim right over it.

PostPosted: 2003.04.27(Sun)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool site, thanks for the tip. I didn't know there were so many kinds.
I heard they like a lot of oxygen in the water.

PostPosted: 2003.04.27(Sun)18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they are deffinately cool fish and I can see how a person can make these guys pets. They have such a neat profile and funny looking face.
I'm thinking about setting up another tank now, a corner tank, tall (possibly a hex) 30 gallons, two fish.
Another plus is you don't have to mess with heaters.
How about light though? I mean would a lot of light be bad for them?

I think the fish I saw on T.v was a pearlscale. I think that would be the fish I would get first. Any ideas as to what they go for in the pet stores?
I live in San diego.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.28(Mon)9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt keep it in a hex, goldfish like long tanks that thy can fully swim about in(although I have seen plenty of people keep fancy types in a hex with no problems). Another reason against the hex is that there is not a lot of surface area at the top for the volume of water. So not as much oxygen will diffuse in, a long tank has a large surface area and so more oxygen is diffused into the water.

I'm not sure about prices in the US, but if you want the best of the best, go here:

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/

(goldfish showroom)

I'm not sure about the lighting in goldfish tanks, they like to eat almost all coldwater plants. I have the lighting on my goldy tank at 2.5wpg and that suits me because the plants grow back as they get eaten.

PostPosted: 2003.04.29(Tue)8:01    Post subject: Wholly kriekies ! Reply with quote

Those fish aren't cheap at 100-300 bucks apiece. What do newbornes cost, any ideas?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: