Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
goldfish in a tank
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannah

PostPosted: 2003.04.25(Fri)13:08    Post subject: goldfish in a tank Reply with quote

I have 2 tanks in my bedroom
one for tropicalfish with a heater
and one cold water for gold fish
my question is can you put cold water goldfish in a heated tank?witha red tailed black shark,neons and a catfish Question Confused Mad
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.25(Fri)13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think that would be suitable. The goldfishes life span would decrease a lot because they're metabolism would speed up(in fact they may even die from shock+stress).
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.25(Fri)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides that, they put out tons of waste that tropical fish are somewhat more sensitve too. They would put a heavy, heavy strain on your bioload, AND they might pick on/ be picked on heavily.
The temperature would restrict the amount of oxygen available to them (although the temp itself would not hurt them...), and it would speed up thier metabolism.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.25(Fri)15:28    Post subject: short answer -- No Reply with quote

The heat is OK, higher temps are often recommended for egg bound goldfish as it keeps them from developing eggs.

The issue is the safety of the fish. The goldfish board I visit recently had an emergency posting from a person who found the catfish stuck halfway down the goldfishes mouth, who to cut open? who to save? As the fish grows the neons will definately be eaten unless the goldfsih is a very poor swimmer. If it is a poor swimmer then it will not be able to compete for food against the other fish. If it is a good swimmer, no one else will be able to compete against it and it may eat the others. Goldfish have been known to suck the eyeballs out of other goldfish.

Then there is the space and pollution issue. A goldfish requires AT LEAST 10 gallons per fish. Fancy goldfish are typically very picky about water quality and may bottom sit if the water is out of specs, what will the catfish do? will it eat the goldfish? Goldfish are major polluters, will the catfish tolerate all that mess or get sick and die?

No, keep the goldfish alone. Or get another goldfish if it is a 20 gallon tank or higher. Goldfish do not mix well with any other fish.
jackie
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.12(Fri)19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Goldfish have been known to suck the eyeballs out of other goldfish.

Shocked OMG, I will never look at my goldfish in the same way...
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, pretty much every fish with the equipment(I'm a bit surprised at goldfish though) have done this.

I think it MIGHT be possible to combine Goldfish and "tropicals" if the following rules are adhered to,

-Stay in stocking limits and understock

-Don't use discus...or anything else that needs very high temps

-choose fish that will do well at around 75 degrees

-use only other peaceful fish.

I have never done this before(and wouldn't think it aethestically pleasing)...but theorectically it could be done. Afterall-most all tropical fish won't die if given slightly lower temps...and goldfish can take higher temps(people in Hawaii and other warm countries can raise them).

But to me....a big clumsy goldfish swimming through a tank of flitting tropicals doesn't click.
Sand
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

once when I needed housing for 3 of my goldies while I fixed a tank issue, I had them in a 30 "show" with tiny guppies and a few very young dwarf sunset platies. the goldies were 3 inches-ish by then. I was very worried that they may eat the other fish. what happened was they ignored the other fish and swam together. no harm done. they were together for several weeks. of course it was temporary AND a 30 show tank is kind of long so they had room to run a round, I mean swim around.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: