Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Porcupinefish & invertebrates
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R u B i A
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)11:17    Post subject: Porcupinefish & invertebrates Reply with quote

I have a 55 gallon w/ a pork puffer and two damsels. Its in the process of switching crushed coral to sand.

I'm interested in growing caulerpa in my aquarium, and having some live rock too. I'm aware that I would need tons of light, and I am already saving up for a new light system.

I am figuring that with more light, there would beTONS of all types of algae. I was wondering which animals help combat the algae? Which snails, hermit crabs, shrimp, etc ? I was just reading this one site, where this one guy has a 50 gallon aquarium with some puffers AND invertebrates. Have any of you successfully kept a pork puffer and inverts together? If I provide enough live rock and hiding places, would they survive my puffer?

I'm really interested in getting some little snails and shrimp, but I don't want them to just become an expensive snack for my puffer.
Gargamel76

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to see how fast inverts can dissapear you could try that.everything I've ever read says puffers are not compatable with any inverts.if you want awsome coraline alage theres a product called coral vital that works great and as far as caulerpa goes what kind do you want to keep, I have a sump with caulerpa in it and I just run a reg floresent and the caulerpa grows like a charm.hope any of this helps
Moella
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)14:18    Post subject: Re: Porcupinefish & invertebrates Reply with quote

R you B I A wrote:
I have a 55 gallon w/ a pork puffer and two damsels. Its in the process of switching crushed coral to sand.

I'm interested in growing caulerpa in my aquarium, and having some live rock too. I'm aware that I would need tons of light, and I am already saving up for a new light system.

I am figuring that with more light, there would beTONS of all types of algae. I was wondering which animals help combat the algae? Which snails, hermit crabs, shrimp, etc ? I was just reading this one site, where this one guy has a 50 gallon aquarium with some puffers AND invertebrates. Have any of you successfully kept a pork puffer and inverts together? If I provide enough live rock and hiding places, would they survive my puffer?

We have had a pork puffer for about 1 year now in a 55 gal. tank with live rock, coral, and inverts. He has caused no problems what so ever. We started out with mushrooms and featherdusters, and just went on from there. Snails, crabs, shrimp, and other fish are left alone by our pork. We keep him well feed (3 krill a day) he eats out of our hand & believe it or not understands hand signals. I think each pork puffer has it's own personality...so I guess just live & learn.

R you B I A wrote:
I'm really interested in getting some little snails and shrimp, but I don't want them to just become an expensive snack for my puffer.

Edit: Removed your message from within the quoted portion of Rubia's message so that board readers can see that the post contains new material, not just one large quote. In the future, type your own message after the "[ / quote ]" -- Ophie
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snails & shrimp?
Porky will LOVE 'em!
( as tasty treats, that is )
Moella
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.11(Wed)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had problems with the cleaner shrimp eating all the crabs and peppermint shrimp. we had to remove the cleaner shrimp and put the in a tank alone...I'm going to stand by my puffer! no probs here!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: