Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY CO2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garry26
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.10(Sat)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm switching to real plants so I looked for DIY CO2 on the net. I got the setup pretty much down, but I'm missing a thing or two.

It doesn't say what kind of yeast to get on any of the manuals I've read. What kind? What brand? Can I buy it in the supermarket?

Also many manuals say to add some baking soda which I have, but it doesn't say how much to add.
SaM dA MaN
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.11(Sun)6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda in the same situation, I'm currently going about making a Co2 injector and am still considering diferent ways of disolving the gas into the water. So far I'm leaning towards two ways:
I've got an Eheim 2800 internal filter in my 10g which has an optional additional oxygen enrichment valve type thing. Basically I was thinking of substituting the oxygen for carbon dioxide and putting some sort of sponge on the filter outlet to break up the Co2 bubbles. I've heard it can be harful letting the Co2 go in the filter inlet and go through the whole filter. In my case the Co2 wouldnt be going through the whole filter just passing through the water outlet.
If this doesn't really make sense a diagram might help....

Another way I was considering was simply injecting the gas with a air stone and 'catching' it in some sort of device that will allow it enough time in the water to dissolve into the water.

I'll probly go shopping for pieces to finally start my project next week or somthing. I've been doing quite a bit of researching and I some one showed me this long, but informative article. You should check it out.
http://www.corydorasworld.com/jlv.htm

Good luck
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.11(Sun)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaM dA MaN wrote:

I've got an Eheim 2800 internal filter in my 10g which has an optional additional oxygen enrichment valve type thing. Basically I was thinking of substituting the oxygen for carbon dioxide and putting some sort of sponge on the filter outlet to break up the Co2 bubbles.

This can be a bit tricky. When the CO2 production begins to slow the pressure inside the CO2 injector drops, the filter can then create a vacuum effect and begin to suck the yeasty syrup from the bottle eventually collapsing the bottle. You can minimize this by using a very hard non-flexible plastic bottle as your injector. The 2 liter soda bottle however will collapse very easily. Trust me on this, you do not want the yeasty goo in your tank!

Quote:
I've heard it can be harful letting the Co2 go in the filter inlet and go through the whole filter. In my case the Co2 wouldnt be going through the whole filter just passing through the water outlet.

This misinformation is quote all over the web and on lots of forums. It is false. Adding CO2 into the filter will not cause damage to the filter. Having tank water that has high levels of dissolved CO2 (resulting in lots of carbonic acid) will cause certain types of rubber to breakdown at a higher rate than normal. But, the exposure to the amount of CO2 is the same whether it's directed into the filter or into a separate reactor, all the CO2 enriched water still flows through the filter. CO2 injected into the filter does not harm beneficial bacteria. I've seen people falsely report that injecting CO2 directly into your filter will damage and/or kill beneficial bacteria...totally false.

I've been injecting CO2, both yeast generated and pressurize gas, into power filters and canister filters for years. The only problem associated with using this method is as follows:

1) Power filters are not the most efficient method, meaning some CO2 is lost. But it is simple and very effective for tanks 20G or less. For larger tanks and/or to make up for the inefficiency is easy to add another bottle.

2) Using a HOT/HOB power filter as a reactor can create a bit of noise as the CO2 bubbles get "chopped" up by the impeller.

3) Using a canister with a top mount impeller can cause cavitation, meaning a sort of "air lock" and the flow from the canister can be stopped. These type canister filters (with top mount impeller) also make some gurgling sounds that some people feel annoying.

Canister filters with bottom mount impellers don't have any of the problems with cavitation or noise. These make excellent reactors and easily reach 100% dissolution.

Garry26 wrote:

It doesn't say what kind of yeast to get on any of the manuals I've read. What kind? What brand? Can I buy it in the supermarket?

For ease of finding and getting started you can buy Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast. You can purchase this yeast at most supermarkets near the spices/flour/baking powder isle.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.11(Sun)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. That helps bigtime!

Now that I got that answered, how about the amount of baking soda? How much do I have to add?
SaM dA MaN
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.12(Mon)2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh yes thats makes sense.
Now that I've heard that ill probly go with letting the Co2 go through my filter.
Thanks Steve
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.12(Mon)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garry26 wrote:

Now that I got that answered, how about the amount of baking soda? How much do I have to add?

Garry, adding baking soda is optional. The fermentation process causes the sugar water solution to continually become more acidic. At a point the solutions pH drops too low and kills the yeast. This happens when your tap water is soft, poorly buffered, and is of low pH to start. Water that has a dKH of 5 or greater and a pH of 7.8 or higher shouldn't need baking soda, in fact, adding it to this water would slow the starting of fermentation.

If you need to add baking soda, add a pinch to an 1/8 teaspoon to start. Try more on the next batch and see if fermentation last longer. The goal is to eliminate the possibility that low pH kills the yeast...you want the alcohol to kill the yeast and stop fermentation.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.29(Thu)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress, how are you injecting the CO2 into your 5g hex? I've got a 12g Eclipse and I've been thinking about setting up a DIY CO2 system, but I'm not sure how to inject it into my tank. Did you set everything up the way Steve illustrated on the first page? Thanks for the help in advance.

"Wit is educated insolence"
Ansbach
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.06(Fri)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett - I am doing DIY CO2 in an Eclipse System 12 exactly like Steve's diagram on the first page and it works just fine.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some ideas on yeast recipes and different yeasts check out
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=4006090712&f=8006023812&m=9066099522
There is also a wealth of info on planted tanks...... hope you don't mind me posting a link to another board Marcos ;^)

My recipe is:
1.5 cups suger
1 box jello
2 cups water
.5~.75 tsp yeast
~3 cups water

Mix jello(any flavor or Knox Blox Gelatin, jello is cheaper)in 1C boiling water. Dissolve suger in 1C hot water.
Pour both into your reactor(2l bottle) and refigerate overnight. The mix will not be completely set like normal jello. Before adding yeast bring back to room temp.
Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water add to jello suger mix with enough water to fill bottle 2~3" from top.

The jello keeps the yeast from reacting with the suger to quickly.... giving your mix a much longer life, 7~10 weeks as opposed to ~2 weeks.

If you use wine yeast the mix should last even longer.

I run mine into the intake of my HOB with good results.
I have a 2dKH and my pH stays between 6.2~6.4

Andrea, whats your watts/gal and are you planning on fertilizing?
This is the slippery road to more money/time on plants than fish...umm whats a fish;^)

Fred
Ansbach
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,

That is really interesting. Have you been using that recipe long enough to really be confident with it, or are you still experimenting?

Ansbach
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: