Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY CO2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)20:55    Post subject: DIY CO2 Reply with quote

OK I've looked trough all the topics and have found nothing that I can use for what I need LOL. Can anyone point me in the right direction to making DIY CO2? I did a search and came up withnothing usable. Also for my 5g it's a marineland hex with an eclipse hood. What can I do to diffuse the CO2 bubbles? I can't put a line in the intake...or can I??
BHantalope

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from what I have heard, I am still building mine... You can use an air stone to get the bubbles in the water, and then you can use a sort of trap to hold hte CO2 between the water and the trap, this will allow it to be exchanged. Also it seams, depending on your filter, you can put the CO2 in the filter intake, and that will diffuse the CO2 in the water. Also, I have heard that you can buy a special glass diffuser that you can put in the water and that will make tiny tiny bubbles that will diffuse into the water. I hope this helps you out a little, I would also like to know the best way to do this...So I wouldnt swear by what I just said if I were you, it is just what I have heard, not proven.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender693 thank you so much for beginning to post. I saw you were from TX and checked you out and came across your site. Your DIY CO2 info was invaluable. Thank you so much my search is almost over, now all I have to do is figure out how to diffues the stuff in my 5g hex and in my 10g. Your diffuser method is too big unfortunately.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tanks that small, using your power filter is plenty efficient enough. Here's a drawing showing how to feed the gas into the siphon strainer of a typical power filter. You may find that you end up with too much CO2 in the 5G, you can adjust the recipe of the yeast syrup or add an airstone to "bubble away" some of the excess CO2.

Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone said something about the little glass tube to diffuse the bubbbles. That works good, but it usually cost about 20-30 bucks! a little steep for a diy unless you really want one, but they do work good. I would just use an airstone into the intake.
Reef
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)7:38    Post subject: Nutrafin system great for small tanks Reply with quote

I'm in Houston too and know what sort of water you are working with. the nutrafin CO2 system is fine for small tanks, the bottle and diffuser are clean and neat (if this tank is in a spot where the chemistry set look of the DIY system is a problem). It is very easy to substitute your own DIY mix for the bought packages after that runs out. At $17 online, it is not a bad investment.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this site:

http://www.azgardens.com/newCO2.htm

(this one would be what I would try and make if I were you - http://www.azgardens.com/images/pgp-vortex1.gif )

the reactors on here can be home made so they are nearly exactly the same like on this site:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/diy_reactor.htm

You can make it like anonapersona said in my topic titled "Another DIY co2 Topics"(something like that anyway), with an upside down plastic spice bottle , a small power head, small bio balls and a sponge at the bottom.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I've got the stuff together and a 2 L bottle for the 10g. Should I use a smaller container for the 5g? Or could I use a 2L with half the recipe? Would more space in the bottle be detrimental to the process?
finn-a-gin
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress , at my lfs , the owner purchased a bunch of the nutrifin diffusers by themselves without the rest of the setup. I have had great success with this.

It has suction cups for mounting,which I mounted directly under the discharge of the filter.The minute bubbles of co2 that aren't dissolved are thrown accross the tank by the discharge for one last chance to be dissolved.VERY efficient and cost effective at $15. Smile

Good luck with your venture.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.04(Sun)12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK people this is it. I have the one litre bottle hooked up to the 5g hex tank and we should soon have CO2 production. I'm so excited I could just burst. Smile Once this tank is looking the way I want and the rubber bands are removed from the java moss and java fern I'll post some pics. If this CO2 thing works I'm also going to change the substrate so I can have a nice carpet plant put in.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: