Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My 125g planted cichlid tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbley
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.18(Sun)0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking tank. I've wondered about planted tanks with those kinds of cichlids. I was under the impression they didn't like planted environments, and tended to tear things up quite a bit, little devils.
What kind of water chemistry is going on in there? Do you add minerals for hardness?
ACE125
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.18(Sun)20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, Tangs are pretty calm for cichlids and none of mine get really big (max of like 6") I have heard many mbuna and south/central americans will destroy plants, but these guys don't seem to bother them. They aren't digging at all right now (but they are still small Wink) thats really my only concern. And I have very hard water straight from the tap, so I do not have to add anything. The only trouble was trying to find plants that will survive in the tank with a pH of 8.0 and a KH and GH around 25 degrees! I am still considering CO2 injection, but I have to be careful because the fish prefer the high pH.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.18(Sun)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find all of these tangs at a LFS or did you special order them? I'd love to find that much variety locally, but I think I'll probably have to order.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.05.19(Mon)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, one family owned LFS about 30 minutes away does carry most of these guys off and on. But I drove to the detroit area (about 2 hrs away) and got everything in my tank from 2 different cichlid breeders. One guy breeds in his basement (100+ tanks) and the other is a whole family that has their entire garage full of tanks (over 600) with a pond in the back yard, and the whole basement is full of foods for sale in bulk. These guys had a huge selection! All of my fish were small, 3/4"- 1 1/2" but they were all in the $4-8 range. My LFS wants $15 each for small white calvus (I got 6 for $30 Very Happy ).
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: