Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Another DIY CO2 Topic...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.22(Tue)7:14    Post subject: Another DIY CO2 Topic... Reply with quote

I have an idea for a co2 reactor nd I need your thoughts and opinions on it.

I was thinking of using:
1 test-tube
1 of these : http://62.73.162.188/acatalog/aquarium_supplies_ROSEWOOD_170.html

and some sucker thingys and maybe zipties.

The test tube would be ziptied upside down to the side of my filter OR stuck to the side using suckers. Then the air line form the DIY co2 would be run into it so that the exit is right up the top of the tube.

Then the pump would be stuck to the side so that the output is aimed at the top of the upside down test tube. I'm hoping that the pump will swirl around in there and totally diffuse all the co2.

What do you all think?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.22(Tue)14:28    Post subject: How big is the tank? Reply with quote

It might be small, is this a very small tank?

I used a plastic spice jar, 2 inches diameter by 4 inches long, upside down, and cut a hole in it to insert the pump outlet. The Rio 90 comes with little sucker feet so the jar just hangs below the pump. The airline with CO2 enters halfway down the jar (not directly from the back as that is hard to insert the line, maybe just off to the side a bit) and just below the inlet is a plastic kitchen scrub pad. If I had left some of the edge of the jar on it would hold the pad alone, but since I didn't I have to poke the airline into it to keep it from slipping out over time.

If you find some nearly clear plastic, you can cut holes for the pump and airline. A glass test tube will be more difficult to work with I'd think. The Rio 90 claims 90 gallons per hour, I think. I have this in a 29 gallon tank.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.22(Tue)15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply
Its going to be for a 20gal long.

Well I was thinking small anyway, I hate looking at equipment in tanks!
if its efficient then it won't really matter how small it is, hopefully. What kind of stuff would be small enough to put in the test tube to break up the bubbles?(like bio balls)
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.22(Tue)19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you hook the system up to an airstone? That would diffuse the bubbles efficiently. You could always hook it up to a small pump, if you wanted to increase the flow even moreso.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.22(Tue)19:46    Post subject: Try external reactor Reply with quote

Maybe you should try and external reactor?
Some fish stores do sell bioballs in small packs, as does the online places.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.25(Fri)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonapersona, could you post a pic of your reactor please? I want to see how it compares to my idea.

thanks
stunned_mullet
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ultra,

I know this reply is a little late, but according to one site, I read a "rio 180's" flow rate was too low to work efficiently as a reactor (454.2 l/hr). So lets say this was true, then your pump won't be efficient for a reactor.

I'm not too sure about this though, but I do have a rio 180 and I'm gonna put together my reactor with that pump so I'll see if it works or not after I'm done. I'm building one of those typical reactor which uses a gravel cleaner and sponge to diffuse the bubbles.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)7:10    Post subject: photos -- I'm trying! Reply with quote

Got a picture, but can't seem to make it work. Need to get help with hardware, but I'm trying.

Quick description, from the top, Rio 90 water pump with 4 suction feet stuck to tank wall, outlet off side through 90 elbow going downward into top of small plastic jar (jar inlet hole is cut offcenter so most of jar is directly below pump) CO2 line enters through a hole cut in the side of the ar about halfway down, kitchen scrubbie just below that.

Co2 line actually has a smaller bit of rigid tubing stuck in the end so that it fits into hole in the jar and that has cuts in it so it makes smaller bubbles but I've never known if this was really effective, bubbles get churned up and it seems that initial size is unimportant. The hole was small to begin with because I used airstones at first, they kept breaking due to the carbonic acid I guess and after 3 I just gave up on them but needed the rigid tubing to fit thorough the hole that was there. The rigid tubing sticks into the scrubbie a bit to keep it from falling out the open end of the jar, it works better if the scrubie is lower, nextt ime I'd leave the lip on the jar andthat would hold the scrubbie the little bit that it needs.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, well iv now got a Maxi-Jet 600 (680 lph) from work, so that should be powerful enough.
I'm going to get a small cheap gravel vac (12 inches long, diameter,2 inches). Il drill a hole for the powerhead ouptut ( il put a 90 degree elbow connector on so it aims downwards) and the co2 line in. Where is the best position for these? I was thinking at the very top for the powerhead because that is where all the bubbles will collect and for the co2 line at the very bottom. That right?
also where would the bio balls go to create maximum turbulence?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.30(Wed)15:28    Post subject: Not the same as mine Reply with quote

That is pretty powerful, maybe too much so, though I'll defer to others who have more experience with that particular set up.

As for the CO2 line, too near the bottom and it may just blow out, especially with that high flow. I might try feeding the CO2 line in from the bottom and just see how high up is best. My guess will be that you'll wnat it near the powerhead since with the high flow the bubbles will need to crash into each bioball to be broken up. So the bioballs are just below the CO2 inlet. How are the bioballs held in the tube? What is on the bottom of the tube?

My reactor is more of a vortex, the water enters off center and the bubbles roll around and around in a circle until they either dissolve or get stuck in the scrubbie and then dissolve, it depends on how fast the bubbles are coming. with a real high flow rate, you would have to depend on the crashing into the balls to break the bubbles up, the number of ball needed could vary I would think.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: