Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Why don't my fish like my cleaner shrimp?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadareef
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.21(Mon)23:53    Post subject: Why don't my fish like my cleaner shrimp? Reply with quote

My regal has recently been showing signs of ich. I was told that one of the best ways to help treat it is is to get a cleaner shrimp. I did jsut that; however, the regal has shown no interest in it. Will it ever?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.22(Tue)0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of it happens after the lights go out.

I think it has to do with some fish species too.

I have cleaner shrimp too and I've had them clean my hand but they've never cleaned a fish. The fish always run away.

Have you tried Pure galic extract in there food?
Canadareef
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.22(Tue)1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed my cleaner also cleans my hands. It is kinda cool. It would be a lot coller if it cleaned the fish though Laughing This garlic extract you speak of; where do you get it?
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.22(Tue)1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get it from health food stores under the brand name of Kyolic.
Otherwise, you can get the garlic oil capsules from a big grocery store or even vitamin section in a big dept store.
Finally, you can get a commercial preparation made for aquariums called Garlic Elixir, I think.

Just put the garlic in the fishfood. After eating it for a few days, the fish will start to taste bad to the parasites, which will drop off in search of more palatable hosts. Of course, there won't BE any more palatable hosts, so they'll eventually starve to death.

It doesn't always work, but it usually works well enough to keep the fish alive at the very least. It's also good for worms and general health.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.23(Wed)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cleaners try to catch the fish but the fish run from them. Once in a while they catch a chromis and it sticks around for a short time then runs off. My lawnmower on the other hand throws himself under the shrim for a cleaning he can't get enough of it. My tang wants nothing to do with it. Just depends on the fish and the shrimp I think.
spkspk

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)21:35    Post subject: another option Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I had two cleaner shrimp and my hippo tang loved to be attended to them. Then, some imbalance happened in my tank and the shrimp died. I replaced them not too long after and the hippo tang ignored the cleaner shrimp; the cleaner shrimp attend to other fish, so it wasn't a waste. On the other hand, I have a fire shrimp which is also a cleaner-type shrimp (it seems that the shrimp with very long feelers are cleaner shrimp that signal to the fish that they can be of more use cleaning them then as food) and strangely, the only fish the fire shrimp will clean is the hippo tang (and he is quite happy to lay on his side while the fire shrimp crawls all over him). Cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp seem to get along okay, so maybe you want to try adding one of those to your tank. Another option is the cleaner wrasse, which I have seen more frequently associated with angels. I am unsure what other foods one provides cleaner wrasses if there are insufficient parasites on your fish to sustain them.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that neon gobies will also clean fish....not to sure on it though, but there color would support the guess too.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.05.03(Sat)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes neon gobies are supposed to be ick cleaners but I don't know how effective they actually are in the aquarium. Because of the fact they will eat many other foods. Also because of the shrimp eating other foods is another reason some may not clean because they get enough food from feeding fish. My cleaner shrimp like to clean if they get ahold of a fish but my blood shrimp prefer to grab extra food.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: