Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Cloudy/milky/hazy water problems...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeninSA
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.04(Sat)12:14    Post subject: UGFs and plants Reply with quote

ecajberry wrote:
I have been reading a lot about just how crappy these UGF's seem to be, and I am seriously considering removing it all together.
Since my fish population is currently at 3 in a 30 gallon tank, I think I will undertake this chore and maybe go thru another cycle because of it, hopefully a short one, but it sounds like the tank will be better off without it, and even allow some live plants to be introduced as well.

I assume the Aqua Clear 200 will be enough for water filtration?
If not I will deal with that as the need arises.

I have UGF's in my 55 gallon and none in my two 10 gallons. The plants are doing just as well in the big tank as in the small ones.
Before getting rid of the UGF's, consider the whole tank as a system. Is your gravel compatible with the UGF? Sand can get it there and clog it and make it worthless. Large gravel could allow food to get in there and rot. Have you tried reversing the direction of water flow in your UGF in order to clear it out?
k_the_c
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.01(Mon)23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennessee Jed wrote:
We weren't so rigorous about our blackout. We simply turned off the tank light for four days and kept the room blinds closed. We did not cover the tank and we continued feeding.

As I said before, this seemed to work when combined with the water changes.

Jed

This is exactly what I've been doing in my 29G. Closed the blinds, turn off the lights, and 1/3 water change every day. The water progressively gets less green.
Todd Smith
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an established setup: 50 Gallons. Six fish: Black Shark 12 inches; Red Tailed Barb; Coffee and Cream Pleco; Unknown Catfish; two Zebra Loaches.

I inherited the setup from my nephew when he undertook responsibility for a large saltwater setup. Abou a year after setting up the tank at my home, my water started becoming cloudy. Just a haze at first, then a substantial white haze which at times can run to cloudy.

The haze does not change with exposure to light, but will return within a week or two to this undesirable state after a partial water change.

Most important is that my fish are happy and healthy. They are not overfed and I try to maintain a clean environment for them. There are no live plants.

I have two powerheads attached to an undergravel filter and an Aquaclear 300 with activated charcoal, sponge and bioclear inserts.

I tested the water recently:
pH 6
Nitrates none
Nitrates none
Amomonia none

If it's a bacterial bloom, why has it lasted for two and a half monthes? I am monitering the fishes behavior and they seem content and healthy. I don't mind stepping up partial water changes, but I do have one nagging concern.

My signal for a water change used to be indicated by a growth of algae which would turn up in a place where my Pleco couldn't reach. But I seem to have a pronounced lack of green algae (or any algae to be accurate). There's only a smidge. Anybody have ideas? Should I just be calm seeing as my fish are happy? Rolling Eyes
jho51e
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.30(Sun)18:35    Post subject: My tank is cloudy too! Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I too need help.

background:
est 07Jan05
90x47x35cm tank with 4 small koi
filters: 1 Aquaclear 300 filter; 1 PennPlax Cascade 200 filter
black pebbles
nitrates & nitrites 0; pH 6.8; ammonia 0.1

situation:
Friday - cloudiness observed in the water...performed a partial water change(includes gravel vacuuming)...added the second filter (used to only run with 1 filter)...added Ammon-lock...

Saturday - water clear...

Sunday night - performed a partial water change (includes gravel vacuuming)...a couple of hours later, noticed the water cloudy again...tested water...added ammon-lock...

Monday morning - the cloudiness did not clear...looked harder into the tank and can see very fine white particles...thought it would clear like the previous day...

quetions:
1. are the particles the cause of the cloudiness?
2. what may these particles be - the bacterial bloom? algal bloom? something else?
3. do I need to change my filter things?
4. is my filtration inadequate? should I invest in a power filter?

I thought I was going OK with the tank...waiting for the cycling to finish...especially when it cleared on Saturday...but now, I am stuck...don't know what I am doing wrong...

Please help! Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to: