Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Cloudy/milky/hazy water problems...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taxlady
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.23(Fri)12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi y'all,

This is an update to let everyone know my water parameters have stablized and the water is looking so much better (almost perfectly clear) and I have reverted back to my weekly 25% water changes. Very Happy

Who would have thought that that darn driftwood could have affected my water parameters so much? I learned a valuable lesson. I won't put anything degradable I.e. wood, in my tank without thoroughly testing it in it's own water first. Still soaking the darn stuff! Been months. Mad grrrrrrr!

Thank you all so much for your help!

Jules the taxlady
gadzilla
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.02.10(Tue)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that taxlady has had her problem solved, and so now here is a new one for you all. I have a planted 32g with an Aquaclear200 filter. I am not happy with the amunt of current in the tank that this caused, so I rigged a DIY "breakwater" by tieing a CD jewel case cover perpendicularly to the output of the filter. Now the water runs straight onto it and shoots out across the surface of the water only. This has reduced the amount of current greatly in the tank to a point that am happy with. I have had this set up like this for about three weeks. My water parameters don't seem to have changed with regard to anything I can test, but now there is a "film" floating on the surface of the water. It looks somewhat oily. Does anyone know what this could be? I really like the results of my current stopper and don't want to remove it. Maybe there is actually a product that is more aquarium friendly. Maybe this is normal. I don't know. I am new to this hobby.
taxlady
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.02.11(Wed)15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gadzilla,

You might want to post this as a new topic...since this is kind of an "old" thread. I received a message that this message was here 'cause I have this topic set to notify me when someone posts to it. Smile

Hope I don't get in trouble for telling you this, and it should actually be here...!

I have read about what you are talking about with the film on your water, but can't remember right at the moment how it was cleared up or what caused it. I will do some looking and see if I can find the book this was in for you.

My water is still looking pretty good since figuring out that you can't leave live plants in pots with the "wool stuff" in the tank...clouded things up for a while. Smile I am in the process of converting my tank to live plants and hadn't received my substrate yet...oh, well, live and learn! Laughing

Take care,
taxlady
fishyfishy
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.06(Thu)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I have 3 guppies and they need light, a lot of light. I also have a pleco. I have a 5 gallon with a bio-wheel filter. My tank has been set up for about a month. I have had one fish to die and I added one a week after it did. It's a clear haze or fog with no color. I added clear water but it didn't work. I have aquarium salt and Start Right in the water with every water change. I change the water once a week. I would appreciate any help, thank you.
~~~1 gallon~~~
1xmale betta...Freddy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
taxlady
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.05.06(Thu)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fishyfishy,

Everybody is going to need to know your water parameters: pH, ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes. Then might be able to help more.

I would suggest that since this is such an old post, that you post it as a new topic? Unless someone moved you here? Just don't know if anyone is going to see it here. Smile If they moved you here, then just stay here. Smile

Need to know your water parameters, though. I would imagine that it is just not cycled yet.

I get an email when someone posts to this topic, so I will still know if you replied here. Did that make sense? It has been a loooonnnnggg day at work! Very Happy

taxlady
Neons & Gouramis
Members

PostPosted: 2004.05.10(Mon)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only feed you fish small porshions for a while, after 4 days, if the cloudiness is still there, get a product to fix it from the store. I find the most common problem to cloudiness is over feeding.
taxlady
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.05.21(Fri)12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update for everybody... Smile

My water has totally stabilized and is perfectly clear in my 50 gallon. And my 37 gallon never had a problem when I finally got it set up. I used water and "gunk" from my 50. No cycle to speak of in this tank. Inmates are doing great in both tanks.

But, FYI, Laughing I did add driftwood again - went with African driftwood from Drs Foster & Smith (tested in own bucket of water first!). Awsome stuff! This driftwood has been in my tanks for a few months now with no problems. Just couldn't stand not having driftwood for Uncle Jack, my pleco...and I like that more natural look!

Happy taxlady at last!
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.12(Mon)6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem very cloudy water but other water parameters were OK, a more powerful filter with fine filter wool did the trick and cleared it within 2 days!
Blue Fe-Knicks
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.20(Tue)12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ten gallon tank
with:
2 platys
3 lamp eye tetras
one drawf puffer (he was a left over from another tank and needed more stimulation as he wasn't eating anymore all alone in his 1.5 gal)
a cory catfish
and one beta who hides inside the brain cave of a skull. *smiles*
A four inch bubble stone
TopFin 10 gal tank filer
and I have plastic plants

This tank was set up a month ago from a 2.5 gal. (with only the beta and the platys) because the other tank cracked. When I did this I moved most of the old water into the new tank. I have no sign of new tank cycling, my ammonia levels have never even gone above 0ppm. I perform a 25% water change once a week.

Current importante levels are:
ammonia--0ppm
nitrite--0ppm
nitrate--20(ish)ppm

My tank has been cloudy since right after I set it up and before I added the newer fish (the tetras and catfish).

I have tried products to get rid of the cloudiness caused from over feeding and/or other particles in the water but they have not helped in the least. It isn't green in color like other people have had but strictly the white.

And I just noticed the appearance of brown algae in my tank a day ago.

My tap water is a little high on the pH (generally clocking 8+ I do have high range test kits so I do not know the specific number on that) so I have added some Proper pH to level it back out to 7ish. I haven't tested the hardness of my water but have plans to but a test kit for it this afternoon. But my questions are as follows:

If my water is too hard could that cause this unexplained cloudiness?
Could the Proper pH be the cause of my cloudiness?
What other steps maybe taken besides water changes and waiting to fix this problem?

Thank you,
Fe
jeninSA
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.04(Sat)11:51    Post subject: cloudy water with no apparent cause. Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is if there has been a change in your local tap water source. Sometimes, severe weather conditions, such as heavy rains can cause added minerals or chemicals to sneak into your water system. When you change out the water, you may be introducing more minerals than usual, even though you are using the same source you always do. Crying or Very sad Be sure you always use a water conditioner when you change or add water.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to: