Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Cloudy/milky/hazy water problems...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaos
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.19(Sat)7:15    Post subject: FAQ: Cloudy/milky/hazy water problems... Reply with quote

My tank has started to get a kinda haze in the water. Overall it's still clear but if you try and look the entire width of the tank (55gal.) you can barely see the other side. My questions are: What is causing this haze? And what can I do to clear it up?

I have recently added a few new fish (could this have caused it?)
My current filter is just a HOB cartridge filter. (should I switch to something like a magnum HOT? or diatom?)

Thanks,

Kaos

PostPosted: 2003.04.19(Sat)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many possibilities to tell the exact problem. Need more info. Is ammonia present?
Could be over crowding , or over feeding! Need info on tank I.e. how many fish did you add, how many fish are in the tank total? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate?
Tennessee Jed

PostPosted: 2003.04.21(Mon)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same problem in our 55 -- very annoying. It turned out to be a microscopic Volvox algae bloom (the haze was greenish).

We solved it by doing a 4-day blackout and 20% water changes every other day for 8 days.

We isolated the source of our problem as being phosphates in the water we had originally been adding during our monthly water changes.

The blackout and water changes (with different water!) worked -- the problem has not resurfaced.

Jed
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.21(Mon)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several possible answers and each depends on differing circumstances. Rather than go back and forth with questions and answers I'll simple outline each cause and you can evaluate which applies to your situation.

1) Failure to wash the substrate properly. Some substrate materials like Flourite, Laterite, and Sand have lots of dust and "fines". Fines are small particles larger than dust. This cloudy water is usually white to brown in color. If some of these substrate materials aren't thoroughly washed prior to use they will cloud you water until the dust and fines are mechanically filter out. Filter floss needs to be added to your filter and changed frequently until the water clears...water changes will help too, provided you don't stir the substrate. Also gravel vacuuming the top of the substrate will help removed the "settled dust".

2) Bacteria bloom. For a variety of reasons a tank can experience a bloom in bacteria. While rarely problematic it is annoying. Bacteria blooms are cloudy and white in color AND, this is really important, the cloudy appearance is the same throughout the day. If the cloudy appearance worsens during the day under lights it is an algae bloom even though it may not look green. Most bacteria blooms last for no more than 10-14 days maximum. Any cloudy water that remains longer than two weeks is likely to be free floating algae. Bacteria blooms will end naturally on their own.

3) Heavy free floating organic particulate. This is water that is basically not clear. If it's yellow in color it could be from the tannins in driftwood or the buildup of organic waste from the plants and fish. It appears in varying degrees of cloudiness. The best way to combat this is with diatom filtering, micron filtering, or by adding high quality activated carbon or synthetic resins such as Purigen. Routine water changes go a long way in controlling organic pollution.

4) Green water...algae bloom. This is the most common problem if the cloudy situation extends beyond 10-14 days. Note that "green water" is not always green in appearance! Since green water is the most common problem and the most difficult to solve the answer needs to reflect several options. The situation that causes GW (Green Water) is usually a combination of high nitrates, phosphates, and mixed in some ammonia/ammonium. Substrate disturbance is usually the culprit. What happens is the algae (GW form) will flourish off of the ammonia/ammonium and phosphate, remembering that algae can consume phosphate easier than plants because of their thin cell walls, the algae uses up the ammonia/ammonium and phosphate, but it doesn't go away...because algae can quickly switch which nutrient it scavenges...it moves to nitrates. So you can see why water changes will not rid a tank of GW. Nutrients can be reduced very low in GW and fairly quickly by the GW algaes, but they can scavenge other nutrients...iron and trace elements. So, it's very common for the GW to solve the situation that causes it to begin with, but that won't eliminate the GW, for the reasons I've allude to. Five methods exist to eliminate GW. Blackout, Diatom Filtering, UV Sterilization, Live Daphnia, and Chemical algaecides/flocculents. The first four cause no harm to fish, the fifth one does.

Method No. 1
The blackout means covering the tank for 4 days, no light whatsoever is allowed into the tank during this time. Cover the tank completely with blankets or black plastic trash bags. Be prepared, killing the algae will result in dead decaying algae that will decompose and pollute the water. Water changes are needed at the beginning and end of the blackout time and ammonia should be monitored also.

Method No. 2
Diatom filters can usually be rented from your LFS. This is my preferred method. Personally, I use my Magnum 350 w/Micron Cartridge coated with diatom powder. Diatom filtering removes the algae and doesn't allow it to decay in the tank. You do have to check the filter often, if you have a really bad case of GW the filter can clog pretty quick. Just clean it and start it up again. Crystal clear water usually takes from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

Method No. 3
UV Sterilizers will kill free floating algaes. They also kill free floating parasites and bacteria. They also can be problematic for extended use in a planted tank, as they will cause the

PostPosted: 2003.04.21(Mon)12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

We weren't so rigorous about our blackout. We simply turned off the tank light for four days and kept the room blinds closed. We did not cover the tank and we continued feeding.

As I said before, this seemed to work when combined with the water changes.

Jed
darkzephyr
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.11(Sun)12:25    Post subject: Well Estabilished Aquariums gettin Cloudy Reply with quote

While workin at my LFS the past couple or months I've had lots of customers come to with inquiries about why there tank is cloudy. The first question I ask them is how long their tank has been set up for to see if it's the typical Bacteria Bloom that results from "New Tank Syndrome". In Most cases it is but there are a few cases where the tank has been set up for anywhere several months to about 2 years and Never got cloudy until just now. I then ask about possibly overfeeding, addition or loss of any fish. They swear they feed their fish very little, and haven't changed the feeding habits since the tank began. Also they claim no fish died or been added.
So I'm stumped!! What else could cause Cloudy water in the middle of nowhere on a mature tank? And what is the best Cure? I usually send them home with some kind of "Clear Water" formula that we sell in bottles. Anyone got any idea on this and maybe a better cure?
djmoyle
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.12(Mon)16:08    Post subject: using anti ich and water is foggy Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone tell me why my water is getting foggier and foggier each day of using anti ich with the carbon taken out of the filter?? Arrow
Froggity
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.13(Tue)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why, but you might want to keep an eye on your water parameters, it might be a bad batch. I had a bad batch of anti internal bacteria medicine once which turned the water cloudy overnight, the pH plummeted, and I lost 2 of my fish.
djmoyle
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.13(Tue)16:27    Post subject: pH Reply with quote

Hi, ya I lost 2 fish because of it (small ones so no big deal) I put some pH leveler in it also and game my last doss of the ick med since its only 3 days for the med's , the silver dollars are much better now (the ones with ick) they have been healing a lot and with the pH leveler the water is clearing up slowly.
Froggity
Members

PostPosted: 2003.05.13(Tue)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your fish. Crying or Very sad
It might still be a good idea and carry on checking your pH regularly,things like pH levellers are prone to causing large swings in pH.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to: