Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Cloudy/milky/hazy water problems...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taxlady
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.09(Fri)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Update on a couple water parameters! Embarassed

pH 6.6, KH 0-1. These have dropped since I tested on January 4.

Also, I did put one small piece of driftwood back in; after soaking it for three weeks and adding bicarb to the water! That darn driftwood has been soaked for at least two months. No tannins are leaching...should be okay, but doesn't seem like it??

taxlady signing off, again!
JasonGood
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.09(Fri)23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about lighting.....I have had this problem once, high wattage lights can cause alge and cloudyness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
taxlady
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.09(Fri)23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonGood,

I don't think it is my lighting. I have kind of ruled out algae. I have a 36" power compact now (8800K Ultra Daylight), but was using a single T-12, 24", 5700K Ultra Daylight up until about 2 weeks ago. I don't think this is too much lighting? But, what the heck do I know? Smile

Thanks,
taxlady
taxlady
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the darn driftwood out...again. Crying or Very sad

My question still pertains to the Purigen part of my original post; if anyone can tell me how soon it starts working and if I have installed it in my Eheim Pro 2 correctly?

It would be at the very last "out-flow" part of my filtering system.

Thanks!
taxlady
Nadia
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

but don't LFS charge for their tests?
The one I go to, unless you're bringing in a dead fish within their 21-day guarantee, will charge $1 per item tested, I.e. $1 for ammonia, another $1 for nitrites, and nitrates, and pH, etc, which adds up fast, so you're certainly better off in the long run getting your own test kits, despite the initial investment. Plus, you need to have a test kit.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Purigen, if it was going to work, should have cleared your tank within a few days tops.

I am stumped. Do you have another established tank without cloudy water?
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PetsMarts and PetCos near me don't charge for their tests, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I'm sure not all privately owned lfs are as "clean" as I would like, keeping the tops screwed on the lids tightly, not spilling the test strips into water, then putting them back in the jar, or leaving the jars open near the plant tank. All of the above I saw at the lfs I used to work at daily, and even telling my then-coworkers about this did not sway them. Even the store manager could see nothing wrong with getting the strips wet, and placing them back to be used for a customer.

I fear to think how many people came in, were told their tank is, fine, just fine, and came home to a tank filled with dead fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
taxlady
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

No, I don't have any other tanks - am getting a 30 gal and 20 gal from a doctor friend of mine Sunday (was too much work for him!).

I am thinking that it is still that darn driftwood (which I removed last night) lowering my pH and KH. I think I didn't leave it out long enough for my biological system to recover fully before I put it back in. Question

I only put the smallest driftwood (10" x approx 4") back in so didn't think it would affect the water parameters so much.

FYI: A neighbor of mine is on the same water supply as me and he has no problems. Doesn't have driftwood either!

I will be so glad when this saga ends! Smile ...and I can tell everybody my water is finally CLEAR. Very Happy

Thanks,
taxlady
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it turns out that your tank hasn't completely cycled, I would use a product called Bio-Spira. This is pretty much the same bacteria that colonize your filter to feed on ammonia and nitrites. I don't think it's snake oil like that Cycle crap - I've used it to great effect in the past.
JasonGood
Members

PostPosted: 2004.01.10(Sat)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope though that you can find the Bio-Spira, it is extremely hard to in my area lfs. The only place I have been able to find it is on the web.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to: