Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Planting stem plants
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Chaos Theory
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.18(Fri)18:29    Post subject: Planting stem plants Reply with quote

How to a plant stem plants? Can I leave the weight on? Cause when I take it off the plants always seem to float to the surface...they never seem to root well.
Burzum
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.18(Fri)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the lead weight and plant them fairly deep so they don't up root. I had plants up rooting all the time when I re-did my tank. It gets frustrating. They soon should take root and you'll be fine.
Raul-7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.19(Sat)0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the lead affect the water conditions?
The Chaos Theory
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.19(Sat)1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what I want to know, I mean lead is poisonous, it causes dementia (I don't know about what it would do to fish) in large doses, but I don't know if it effects it all the much, also I want to know if it restricts their growth???
Raul-7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.19(Sat)1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they sell any Stainless steel weights, they might work?!
Raul-7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.19(Sat)7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, OK most stem plants take root...I agree it's frustrating at first, but soon they release their runners and stay put! But EVERY single day I always have to reset my Camboba, and I feel sorry for my fish as they have to suffer with my hand going into their habitat everytime...I found these metal plant anchors at Petco, http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=5949&sku=4258357281&tab=3&dept_id=1048&c1=1038&c2=1048&c3=&ct1=D%E9cor&ct2=Plants+%2D+Plastic&ct3= it says they're safe and non-toxic, but I'm not sure if it's really true!? Confused
The Chaos Theory
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.19(Sat)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm I've seen those before, they seem like they would work, maybe ill get some of those today. The place where I have my stem plants is not easily accessible so I really don't want to have to be digging down there everyday so maybe those will work.
gnome
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.19(Sat)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relatively speaking, lead is pretty much inert as long as the water is alkaline. But if the water is acidic, the lead will start to ionize into solution. Besides, it's better to give each stem its space to promote proper root growth. Just trim off the lower part of the stem that looks to be rotting, grab the base with a pair of tweezers and jam it down so the substrate covers at least 1". Before you release, wiggle the tweezers around a little bit to let the gravel settle around the base, and slowly pull the tweezers out. Tweezers are the greatest thing when planting.

If you have one of those plants that just refuses to stay anchored, you can get stainless steel washers and nuts at any hardware store and you can fit 2-3 very thin stems into a small-diameter nut. I did that a long time ago for Cardamine lyrata and it worked well. It even managed to root after a while. But then, you still have that nut there. I guess you can try to bury it in the substrate. I don't recommend this method if tweezers will do the job.
ShaneT
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.21(Mon)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the weights either...lead with as mentioned cause problems if the water creates and electrolisis of sorts with the break up of the two compounds. I have for years used simple sewing thread. I use cotton, and uncoloured, all natural at that. Just about the roots...or where potential roots would form...I go around the stem several times to create sort of a ball. This gives the gravel something to anchor on. The thread will disolve within a couple of months time, usually by then you have lots of roots to anchor itself. I have used this in large breeding tanks for Gouramis who are famous for ripping plants right out of the bed to crate a brooding nest...and so far it was worked wonders. The nice thing about this method is that the thread will disolve..where as any type of metal will not, and will potentially squeeze the stem as it grows. Smile
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.15(Mon)9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever get a stubborn stem plant what I do is this.
Make a fresh cut at the bottom making sure you cut off any soft or rotting bits. Then strip off the bottom leaves so that you have one or two stem nodes to put under the gravel. Then gently attach the lead weight higher up the stem and plant the protruding bit with the nodes in the gravel. You will then have a good place for roots to start and the lead is sat on the surface of the gravel. I find after a week there is usually enough root to hold them and gently remove the lead. If you are doing your regular water changes (as you should) the lead doesn't cause any problems over this time period. Smile
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: