Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY CO2 thoughts...
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.17(Thu)10:54    Post subject: DIY CO2 thoughts... Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to inject the CO2 from a DIY setup into the return line for a cansiter filter? Of course you'd have to have a one-way value in there. I'm thinking the pressure and travel time back might help keep it diffused. I was thinking about maybe injecting into the intake line, but was concerned about the co2 coming out of solution inside of the cansiter. Well, just kicking around thoughts while I let the 75 cycle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.20(Sun)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a site somewhere that showed a pretty good way of diffusing the co2. A powerhead was set up on top of a gravel vac so the return went through the top. the intake had a sponge on it to stop particles. So the co2 was run in the top with a very fine bubbled air stone. There was also some kind of pad at the bottom of the vacuum. Anway the powerhead swirls the bubbles around and the co2 is diffused and 'leaks' out the bottom into the tank.

This is similiar to your idea of using water turbulence to diffuse the co2 except there is no wastage in the method above. I think with your idea there still would be co2 bubbles reaching the surface where they are wasted.

hope I helped.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.20(Sun)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

It work okay with some canisters and really good with others.

You can do it two ways.

1) Simply push the CO2 line into the siphon strainer, I've added an airline coupler to the end of the CO2 line to make inserting into the strainer easier.

2) Drill a small hole in the siphon tube and insert a permanent right angle connector for the CO2 line. I've used a 45 degree angle connector from used for sprinkler drip irrigation. You can find those and a host of other connectors in the sprinkler supply area at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Canister filters that have the impeller located in the bottom of the unit are better CO2 reactors than are canisters with top mount impellers. Magnum 350's are and example of a canister that has the impeller in the bottom and work excellent as a power reactor. Fluvals and Eheim have top mounted impellers and can have problems with cavitation.

Cavitation (airlock) happens more often from excessive O2 near the end of the photoperiod after the plants have been pearling all day.

All and all, canister filters make pretty good reactors provided the problem with cavitation is overcome. A better approach to maximize CO2 when using a canister is to DIY build an external inline reactor. This uses the force of the canister filters water flow through the reactor filled with bio-balls to churn and fully dissolve the CO2 bubbles.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.21(Mon)20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DIY build an external inline reactor

Know where I can get some plans on that?
BTW, I just posted in equip about Magnum 350 v. Ehiem. Any thoughts on that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.21(Mon)21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons wrote:
Quote:
DIY build an external inline reactor

Know where I can get some plans on that?
BTW, I just posted in equip about Magnum 350 v. Ehiem. Any thoughts on that?

Here's the plans that I used, I believe that 2la built one of these too.

External Inline CO2 Reactor
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: