Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how much gravel do you need?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrswx
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)19:51    Post subject: how much gravel do you need? Reply with quote

I have had a 10 gal aquarium in the past, and so has my husband, but we think differently about how much gravel you actually need. We are planning on getting a 20 gal, how many 5lb bags of gravel are needed?
elTwitcho
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't running an undergravel filter, and aren't growing plants, as much/little gravel as you want will work fine. For non planted tanks I like to keep gravel as thin as possible, maybe 1.5 inches deep at most. I do this because the lower gravel depth is much easier to vacuum and keep clean than a deep gravel bed, which lets you keep your tank cleaner and fish healthier. I'd start with 15 pounds of gravel and see where that takes you. I had 15 in my old 20 gallon and it was enough for my tastes.
mrswx
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! My husband had an undergravel filter, so that is probably why he wants bunches of gravel, and I didn't think we needed three inches of gravel,..lol,...
jersysman
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put 25 lbs of natural gravel in my 20 gallon and it looks great. Overall I would say about an inch of gravel is enough. I have about a 1/2 inch in the front sloping to an inch in the rear.
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get your gravel from a lfs, they overcharge you by a lot. At lows or home depot you can get like 50 pounds for 5 bucks. Just make sure you clean it very well
fiffy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't get your gravel from a lfs, they overcharge you by a lot

I've never had a problem with my lfs overchargeing on gravel. Plus if you don't suport them they go out of business, then where are you going to buy your fish? Lows and Home Depot? I think not.
mrswx
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think about looking at lows or home depot, but do they have colored gravel? We want colored gravel, not shades of brown. We got our gravel today, 30lbs of bright green and lavender, and also, lfs GAVE us a 1oz jar of Omega one fish food! I'd like to see home depot or lowes do that! Wink
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: