Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
popeye [exoplthalmia] advise requested
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salty150galgal
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)19:21    Post subject: popeye [exoplthalmia] advise requested Reply with quote

Have had stable water conditions for over two months. Tests indicate pH, ammonia, nitrite are OK, nitrate = 80 ppm (too high, I know! but fish 'appear' fine for months before and after water changes at this level)
I've had the tang, two damsels for over nine months.
Today my blue velvet developed popeye and died within hours. The others look like they may be getting it also. Everyone looked fine yesterday.
Chromis is last of seven small fish to survive purchase two weeks ago. I assume others died from territorial issues with tang or damsels ( they never fought in front of me) They died every two days or so, without any markings or other obvious signs of trauma/disease.

I realize 80ppm on nitrate may have fish stressing for weeks, but why would popeye appear 'immediately' and kill the fish?
I'm afraid I'll lose tang, chromis and electric blue damsel.

I don't understand where bacteria may have come from since it didn't appear to infect within 24 or even 72 hours. Isn't two weeks a long time for infection to appear out-of-the-blue one day with the strength to kill? Maybe the Chromis were the problem - a lesson to be learned about quarantining new purchases!? an expensive painful lesson.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK one just cause they seem fine dosen't mean they are fine. a nitrate reading of 80ppm is a good indicator that you are doing WAY WAY to little waterchanges and not frequently enough! not sure how to treat the popeye but with a nitrate level of 80ppm some sortof desiese, infection or parisite outbreak is going to happen. do a largish water change then do daily water changes to bring the nitrate levels down.

Quote:
Chromis is last of seven small fish to survive purchase two weeks ago. I assume others died from territorial issues with tang or damsels ( they never fought in front of me) They died every two days or so, without any markings or other obvious signs of trauma/disease.

they died because of nitrate poisoning. a sutiable reading of 20ppm or less of nitrate is what you want depending on what you have in the tank.

Quote:
a lesson to be learned about quarantining new purchases!?

no this is a lesson in irresponsibility. what you have done is cruelty against animals! please either become responsible or take the fish back to the lfs free of charge and give the tank to someone responsible.

Quote:
an expensive painful lesson

I am quite certain that your fish are in more pain than you.

sorry for the rant everybody but I can't take that level of cruelty to any living thing.

andrew
2 winged demons
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nitrate runs over 80 right out of the tap. I have to use amquel + for treatment of water as it helps with the nitrates. It costs me quite a bit since I have to do 30 - 40% a week on a 75g but it is well worth it.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: