Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtdirtybird7
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)12:08    Post subject: 10 gallon Reply with quote

I am getting a ten gallon and I have had so many ideas for it. But now I have no clue what to do! So, I am open to anything, what should I put in it? I want julii cories (if possible).

THANKS!
Mike
lewis83t
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try a dwarf gourami, or maybe a school of zerba danios they are very hardy and fun to watch.
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra danios need more room to swim, at least 30 gallons due to their hyperactivity.

Do you know about fishless cycling? You must cycle your tank before you add your fish. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php

Here is a very popular stocking list for a 10 gallon tank:
6 neon tetras or black neon tetras (or 4 slim bodied tetras)
3 small cories (pygmy and pandas are recommend, and if I'm not mistaken, you could also go with 3 juliis if you want. I have bronze cories in my tank)
2 otocinclus
1 betta or 1 dwarf gourami
AaronMck
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my group with some councelling from a fish guy. 10 gallon 2 zebra Danios one common pleco 2 red tailed/rainbow sharks, 2 black tetras, One unknown Tetra.

I plan to add 2 balas, a blue Gourami, and a neon molly to complete it once I've got it stablized and finished.
gtdirtybird7
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about this:
1 (or possibly 2) krib(s)
3 julii cory
2-3 otos

And thanks for the help everybody
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtdirtybird7 wrote:
what about this:
1 (or possibly 2) krib(s)
3 julii cory
2-3 otos

I would avoid kribs in a ten. While they could potentially be kept in there, they do grow to be on the larger side of the dwarf cichlid spectrum. IMO, a single Ram or even a pair would work much better (provided you plant out the tank and provide a few places that your cories can get shelter).

Jake
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

AaronMck wrote:
This is my group with some councelling from a fish guy. 10 gallon 2 zebra Danios one common pleco 2 red tailed/rainbow sharks, 2 black tetras, One unknown Tetra.

I plan to add 2 balas, a blue Gourami, and a neon molly to complete it once I've got it stablized and finished.

I don't know who counceled you, but you have a disaster waiting to happen.
1. Common pleco will get up to 18 inche.
2. The sharks should be only 1 to a tank, and I wouldn't consider 1 in a 10gal.
3. Bala's definately don't belong in a 10 g. they get to big for it and need more space to swim. I wouldn't put one in less than a 75g. and you need at 3 or 5 for them to be happy.

If I were you I would take all back except for the tetras and danio's, get a few more of each. Maybe a dwarf gourami for your center fish and call it a day.
supaoopa
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ I second that ^^^^

The red tail should at least have a 30"x12" area all to itself. They get to big for a 10 and even in a 20 gal they can get over aggressive with other fish cramming up its territory.

Common pleco is a pooping machine and definitely needs at least a 65+ gal when adult.

And I've heard of adult balas that commit suicide in 55 gal tanks because the get anxiety attacks and slam into the sides of the tank. Definitely not a good choice for 10 gal, no matter how small (baby) they are.
gtdirtybird7
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

benedictj wrote:
IMO, a single Ram or even a pair would work much better (provided you plant out the tank and provide a few places that your cories can get shelter).

My water is hard is there any way to change it so that I can have rams?

THANKS AGAIN!
Mike
supaoopa
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use a mix of distilled water and your regular tap water to reduce the hardness, then using peat moss to futher soften the water as well as lower the pH if that is also something you wish to do.

I currently have a 10 gal with a whole mix of fish that I have rescued from other tanks. Laughing But my final stocking list for this tank will be

2 (pair) Blue rams
5 cardinal tetras
1 otocinclus
and a whole mess of shrimp. Smile

But if you are just beginning I wouldn't recommend blue rams because they are pretty sensitive to water changes and unfavorable water conditions (very hard, high pH). Some beginners have great success with blue rams, but IMO a lot of the magic, low maintanence ram tanks are a result of water perameters straight from their tap and the quality of the fish that are provided by the LFS/breeder.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: