Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New tank owner and member.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supaoopa
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ agree ^^^^

I would return most of those fish. For a 10 gal IMO, the biggest fish you should put in it is something who's adult size will be no bigger then 3"-3.5" . Bigger fish need a larger space to swim in.
Doosharm
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add something here. AaronMck, we're really not trying to put you down in any way whatsoever. Please don't be discouraged and leave the hobby because you got off to a bad start. Most of the people in this hobby, myself included, started just like you. Buy a tank, fill with water, add fish. Its always fun to go to the pet store and fill up your tank with a bunch of cool fish. However, as you (and I) now know, this is a bad idea and will lead to ultimate failure. I'm glad that I found this site early on and was able to save the lives of many of my fish (though sadly I lost some to "new tank syndrome"). With the information you got here you can surely have a successful tank with fish that will live for years!

In addition to what Flurry wrote, platies and other livebearers are acceptable fish for a 10g tank. They are very messy but with proper maintenece you shouldn't have a problem. Don't worry if the fish you get are not very interesting. Once you get the hang of things you can get a bigger tank and get some larger, more interesting fish. Then you can use the 10g for some shell dwellers or something!

Doosharm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AaronMck
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken. Thanks for you help and encouragement. I will restock the tank once I've stabalized the enviroment and hopefully the pet store will accept the return of the Pleco and Shark as they seem to be the only ones thriving.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: