Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
putting a crayfish with an oscar?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)8:17    Post subject: putting a crayfish with an oscar? Reply with quote

I have a 55 gallon tank and a albino tiger oscar in it and a bristlenose catfish which just hides all the time. Anyway I would like to put some sort of crayfish with him, is this possible? I could get some rock caves and stuff for it to hide in. What do I feed them? And would they fight?
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh I forgot to mention that hes been in there for about 4 months now and he might have established terriotry. is there anyway I could still put one in with him?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I've heard of anyone trying this combo but just going on gut and what I do know about Oscars, it sounds like it would end as a lobster sushi lunch for the oscar. Or, at the very least, it would be a miserable existance for the crayfish, who would probably wind up spending most of its time hiding.

Jake
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or possibly the other way around...

Quote:
Compatibility with fish
Crayfish will try very hard to eat your fish. They will lay in wait until a fish swims through their open claws, or if they have their tail curled up they can lunge forward a few inches to try to catch a fish. They may climb up plants to go fishing near the surface. I've seen them watch food that is put into the tank from a few inches away, and wait for fish to start eating it. Then they lunge forward to try to catch one.

http://tinyurl.com/aul83

~Haname
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a magazine called Aquarium Fish Magazine, and I just got an article all about crayfish. For your aquarium, I would choose something of similar size to your other fish. I would also buy some plants(fake or real) and hiding spaces. Crayfish normally live in areas of densse vegitation and lots of cracks and crevices to hide in. Here are the eight most popular crayfish. Cool Here we go:
Louisiana Crayfish: Red, 6 inches, escape artists, live 2-3 years.
Yabby/ Australian Crayfish: Bright Blue, 8 inches, 68-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Florida Lobster:Brown, 2.3-2.75 inches, 68-80 degrees F
Shufeld's Dwarf Crayfish: red-brown, 1.5 inches, live 12-18 months, minimal agression.
Orange Dwarf Crayfish: Orange with two stripes,1.6 inches, Larger fish will eat it
Red Claw:Blue-green to black, 8.5 inches, 72-90 degrees F
The Marron: brown, black, blue, 15 inches, up to 4 pounds, 60-72 degrees F,
Miami Cave Crayfish: Orange, 3 inches, 68-86 degrees F Cool
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I shouldnt put it with my oscar. I don't think my oscar would bother it but he might and he won't take crap from a crayfish. but I don't know I mgiht ask the guys at the pet store as well.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say no. While haname's point is valid. I think in the long run, it would be the oscar who overtakes the crawfish, sheerly based on growth rate (oscars grow much faster than crawfish).

Also, even if they didn't kill each other, the crawdaddy could potentially cut the Oscar , which could lead to disease issues (especially since O's are often a harbinger of dirty water).

Jake
cichlid_dude123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the pet store today(PJs) and I asked a guy there and he said that I could do it if theres a lot of rocks and plants for it to hide in. I was thinking of just a blue crayfish with some lava rocks and some of my fake plants in one corner and the rest of the tank is oscar town Laughing ohh and the bristlenose could hide with the crayfish
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the crayfish will take chunks from the bristlenose.

Seriously, if you mix a cray with fish, you are always taking the risk of the cray getting a few good chomps here and there; fish do sleep sometime. And oscars are not above an easy live meal.

My crayfish Skit was a little over six inches when he died; he had eaten over $20 worth of fish, including a Platydoras costatus, a striped raphael catfish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: